Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Curious State of Agarioforums
Hello everyone, it's Ry again. My second post on the forums ever. I thought i was never even going to post although I saw something very interesting around here and thought, maybe the moderators would like to know. 

I was looking at the home page and at the bottom, within "Users Active in Last 24 Hours" first thing that stood out to me was how many spammy, 6-letter names were in the list. Sure enough, many of those profiles shared 3 things in common. All of these users had ages randomly selected within 30s and 40s, all of them registered in the last 24 hours, and all have a total time online of 10 to 15 seconds. It is more than obvious that these are bots, although the question might be, why?

Another thing appears to be that some bots stay on the site doing virtually nothing for months. Here is the one banned profile within the "Users Active Now" list, also at the bottom of the home page.

SharaPoinc (Banned)
Total Posts: 0 (0 posts per day | 0 percent of total posts)

Time Spent Online: 3 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, 19 Hours, 9 Minutes, 36 Seconds

I have to say, this bot was very lowkey to get by for almost 4 months without being banned. It appears that all it did was lurk around the forums, and then just today it did something that set off an algorithm which either automatically banned it, or got the attention of staff. Is this a common thing to find around the chat, bots that just stay online for months? Even longtime moderators and "posting freak"s generally have a Time Spent Online of 1 week to 2 months. Just for the most active comparison.

Thank you for reading! this may not even be helpful for anything relevant although I am happy to give advice when it's due.
Hey, I am "Ry" in Agma and its discord server, just posting a few things on agarioforums so if you need me add ryans#1329 : )
[-] The following 3 users Like bijoy's post:
  • Mikasa, Mobile-Agma, SilverYT_official2
(05-05-2022, 05:24 AM)bijoy Wrote: Hello everyone, it's Ry again. My second post on the forums ever. I thought i was never even going to post although I saw something very interesting around here and thought, maybe the moderators would like to know. 

I was looking at the home page and at the bottom, within "Users Active in Last 24 Hours" first thing that stood out to me was how many spammy, 6-letter names were in the list. Sure enough, many of those profiles shared 3 things in common. All of these users had ages randomly selected within 30s and 40s, all of them registered in the last 24 hours, and all have a total time online of 10 to 15 seconds. It is more than obvious that these are bots, although the question might be, why?

Another thing appears to be that some bots stay on the site doing virtually nothing for months. Here is the one banned profile within the "Users Active Now" list, also at the bottom of the home page.

SharaPoinc (Banned)

I have to say, this bot was very lowkey to get by for almost 4 months without being banned. It appears that all it did was lurk around the forums, and then just today it did something that set off an algorithm which either automatically banned it, or got the attention of staff. Is this a common thing to find around the chat, bots that just stay online for months? Even longtime moderators and "posting freak"s generally have a Time Spent Online of 1 week to 2 months. Just for the most active comparison.

Thank you for reading! this may not even be helpful for anything relevant although I am happy to give advice when it's due.

When a user has been signed up and active for a longer time, it takes a couple extra moments to get rid of it. It's minuscule, but sometimes it allows the bot to post more if a moderator that has the option to delete those posts isn't online. We have some secret moderators that are able to easily purge a spammer on accounts that are new and have a lot of rapid posts, but many don't have the option to individually ban and delete. 

That's my only guess, other than maybe they created many bots and forgot to post on some of them.
Have any questions? Feel free to send me a private message! 

Please remember, I’m only a forums moderator. Not in Agma!  Heart
[-] The following 3 users Like QueenHeather's post:
  • Mikasa, SilverYT_official2, TheRoxy
(05-10-2022, 03:33 AM)QueenHeather Wrote: [quote pid='152572' dateline='1651728251']
bijoyHello everyone, it's Ry again. My second post on the forums ever. I thought i was never even going to post although I saw something very interesting around here and thought, maybe the moderators would like to know. 

SharaPoinc (Banned)

When a user has been signed up and active for a longer time, it takes a couple extra moments to get rid of it. It's minuscule, but sometimes it allows the bot to post more if a moderator that has the option to delete those posts isn't online. We have some secret moderators that are able to easily purge a spammer on accounts that are new and have a lot of rapid posts, but many don't have the option to individually ban and delete. 

That's my only guess, other than maybe they created many bots and forgot to post on some of them.

[/quote]
As far as the user SharaPoinc, it is always shown as recently online and apparently it is going to be stuck there due to reading "No Permissions Room" - meaning it is banned, although that is the only place it has to be online in the Forums. Nothing to worry about lol

The 6 letter bots are a greater issue however. There are new ones every day and as Fisa said "Look at today's birthdays" where it is literally a stream of users turning the same age, all with these spammy 6 letter names. These profiles were all created in the past, and the same variety of these bots is still showing up every day within newest users [those active in the last 24 hours as I mentioned]
Hey, I am "Ry" in Agma and its discord server, just posting a few things on agarioforums so if you need me add ryans#1329 : )
(05-11-2022, 07:44 PM)bijoy Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 03:33 AM)QueenHeather Wrote: [quote pid='152572' dateline='1651728251']
bijoyHello everyone, it's Ry again. My second post on the forums ever. I thought i was never even going to post although I saw something very interesting around here and thought, maybe the moderators would like to know. 

SharaPoinc (Banned)

As far as the user SharaPoinc, it is always shown as recently online and apparently it is going to be stuck there due to reading "No Permissions Room" - meaning it is banned, although that is the only place it has to be online in the Forums. Nothing to worry about lol

The 6 letter bots are a greater issue however. There are new ones every day and as Fisa said "Look at today's birthdays" where it is literally a stream of users turning the same age, all with these spammy 6 letter names. These profiles were all created in the past, and the same variety of these bots is still showing up every day within newest users [those active in the last 24 hours as I mentioned]
[/quote]

Those bots have always plagued the forums. It would take much too long to individually remove them, especially when they're mostly harmless. We do remove the ones who post spam. But we try to avoid deleting new users simply based on their name or profile, because we've had truly innocent new users accidentally banned before.
Have any questions? Feel free to send me a private message! 

Please remember, I’m only a forums moderator. Not in Agma!  Heart
[-] The following 1 user Likes QueenHeather's post:
  • bijoy
(05-05-2022, 05:24 AM)bijoy Wrote: Hello everyone, it's Ry again. My second post on the forums ever. I thought i was never even going to post although I saw something very interesting around here and thought, maybe the moderators would like to know. 

SharaPoinc (Banned)

This may be a unpopular opinion but maybe it is alts someone created to click links for referal farming , and when they switch vpns, the server fails to understand that the user is disconnected since that ip they previously used is still connected as it's a online server . So it renders the account as active for months . But this is just a theory .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sorry's post:
  • bijoy

SharaPoinc (Banned)

Hey, thanks for your post, and sharing what you've found!

We have indeed had a bot-infestation -- it was worse than Rodents!! It was keeping the Forums down, more than they were up. But in the past week or so, they have been up again, so maybe Sora found something, and managed to make it better.

I'm not sure of a way to search for users with the most time on the Forums. (I figure I should be near the top of that list, lol!) But maybe I'll find something, and be able to watch for bots that are definitely up to no good.
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!