Register
Hello There, Guest!

Poll: Has Squirrel been slacking off??
Oh, totally!! ROAST that muthah of all rodents!
Yes, he has, but he's allowed to, cause he's so old!
If spam appears in a forest but no-one responds to it, has any spamming actually occurred??
No, stop deleting that stuff, we were READING that!!
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slacking Off
Mannn, have I ever been SLACKING!

I happened to swing by to delete the garbage posts this morning... I found that my one post from my last visit was to a guy who introduced himself a month ago. Not sure why there was a nes message in that thread that day, but I was blissfully unaware.

Today, after deleting all the new cr@p, I was left with two messages.

But upon looking closer, both of those were old threads that had bots posting in it. These were two that somehow didn't even sign up an account, but were posting as a defined 'Guest'.

And then the kicker, I found a bot that had posted 71 messages to date, and I wasn't readily able to purge the user any longer, so I had to delete all 71 messages, and then I was able to deep-six the user.

I need to start spending a bit more time around here again...

But hopefully you guys will help out by posting what's on your minds!
(Not you, Mindless, not you!)
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 2 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • fisa, Light*
Heh I dont get why people choose to waste their resources and post garbage here
[-] The following 2 users Like Photonblast's post:
  • fisa, Squirrel
(07-20-2021, 07:02 PM)Photonblast Wrote: Heh I dont get why people choose to waste their resources and post garbage here

It's very rarely a real person... But just as long as there have been computers, there have been people who would like to misuse them, and make them do nonsensical and useless things.

I think that most spam began as small plans to try and waste a computer's time. And as time went on, that evolved across all different platforms and different services offered via a computer, almost irregardless of platform or package.

From there, scams and identity theft were born. And again, those spread out across all available media. Then there was hacking and software exploits, spread through e-mail and now cell phones, looking for the dumb user who'll click on just about anything!

A decade ago, if you were on a 'free' naughty pictures site, it would try to trick you into agreeing to install software that would generate pop-ups on your machine, Some of those would lead to infected sites.

Some would change some properties of your dial-up modem and get your computer to call a 1-900 number, and you'd get a bill a month later for up to $100.00 per minute that you couldn't get out of with the phone company. And some just tried like crazy to get you to sign into more places like that which made you pay for access.

As long as humans continue to draw breath, we'll always have some of this.

And that's why it's so important to be aware, to practise good password principles, and safe browsing. Know what is possible, and you will be closer to being knowledgeable enough to know when something fishy is going on, to back up, and stomp out intrusions onto your own machine. Smile
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • fisa