Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roaming with no data
Happy New Year´s every one I am in Colombia with my locked phone that Freedom mobile told me it would be un locked. yes I can make phone calls but I have no data. LIARS ! Cause they want me to pay their ridiculously high International rates in order to have data. Anyways just a short message. I won´t be playing for a while as I have no internet at my homestead and won´t be spending any length of time in an internet cafe´. Covid and all, I´m probably playing too much russian roulette with this pandemic flying to a country that is struggling a bit more with the Covid than where I came from. It has beenthree days and no symptoms . life´s getting in the way of this text ,gotta go now
[-] The following 3 users Like Jupiter's post:
  • fisa, solo_player123, Squirrel
(01-04-2021, 07:37 PM)Jupiter Wrote: Happy New Year´s every one I am in Colombia with my locked phone that Freedom mobile told me it would be un locked. yes I can make phone calls but I have no data. LIARS ! Cause they want me to pay their ridiculously high International rates in order to have data. Anyways just a short message. I won´t be playing for a while as I have no internet at my homestead and won´t be spending any length of time in an internet cafe´. Covid and all, I´m probably playing too much russian roulette with this pandemic flying to a country that is struggling a bit more with the Covid than where I came from. It has beenthree days and no symptoms . life´s getting in the way of this text ,gotta go now

Stay safe, friend!

I'm sure that you'll be back when you are able, because ain't no Canuck dat I know of, dat takes having no Internet lying down!
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 2 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • fisa, Jupiter
(01-04-2021, 07:37 PM)Jupiter Wrote: Happy New Year´s every one I am in Colombia with my locked phone that Freedom mobile told me it would be un locked. yes I can make phone calls but I have no data. LIARS ! Cause they want me to pay their ridiculously high International rates in order to have data. Anyways just a short message. I won´t be playing for a while as I have no internet at my homestead and won´t be spending any length of time in an internet cafe´. Covid and all, I´m probably playing too much russian roulette with this pandemic flying to a country that is struggling a bit more with the Covid than where I came from. It has beenthree days and no symptoms . life´s getting in the way of this text ,gotta go now

Have a nice Hotel Translavania
Stay hotel stay safe
Beware from the new type gene covid-19. Huh

And we truly are going to miss you

I know you cant hear me.(lol)

[Image: bannerdiscor.gif]   

[-] The following 1 user Likes fisa's post:
  • Jupiter
Thanks for replying honestly with your W.T.F. ??? emoji and you have every right to question my decision to travel in these insane times. Back in July 2020, searching the internet I found tickets at less than half the normal price. So I took a chance and purchased them. As you know the Covid situation became worse especially when the" Right honourable "Doug Ford allowed school to return in September. Before September Ontario was heading in the right direction as far as Covid was concerned. It seems now Dougie is villifying travellers such as myself ( I think he is using "travellers" as a scapegoat right now . Believe me when i say I did think a lot about whether to just forget going to Colombia as i had moved to a rural setting in Ontario and felt very safe in my small town in Ontario. As you know I started building a home in Colombia and was very happy there. The home needs a lot more work. So this is not really a typical vacation it is more like a "workcation". I will be staying at my casa and not staying at any hotels. Although the covid situation is far worse in Colombia (many of the hospitals are near or at 100% capacity). We are taking as many precautions as we can. I found your reply very amusing "Hotel Transylvania" L.O.L. with love.

(01-05-2021, 05:33 AM)Squirrel Wrote:

Stay safe, friend!

I'm sure that you'll be back when you are able, because ain't no Canuck dat I know of, dat takes having no Internet lying down!
    Damn straight my friend. I am on the internet trying to access my data so I can "Whatsup" my family back home. Freedom mobile owes me that. I did everything to ensure my phone would not be blocked in Colombia. I can make phone calls but they still have my data blocked. But I had to communicate with my friends at the forums 1st, then back to the mundane bullshit of getting back what is rightfully mine.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jupiter's post:
  • fisa, Squirrel
(01-08-2021, 02:49 PM)Jupiter Wrote:     Damn straight my friend. I am on the internet trying to access my data so I can "Whatsup" my family back home. Freedom mobile owes me that. I did everything to ensure my phone would not be blocked in Colombia. I can make phone calls but they still have my data blocked. But I had to communicate with my friends at the forums 1st, then back to the mundane bullshit of getting back what is rightfully mine.

Yeah.... What is your 'right' goes right out the window, once other foreign governments get involved!

And then you are left leaning on your own government, via the Canadian Embassy to try to bring some sense back into the equation. This is probably the major reason that I will never stray far from home (Canada) for long.
Fight the Good Fight
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • fisa
I´m a little confused Squirrel, my battle is with Freedom Mobile not the Colombian Government. Although I do know what you mean about not wanting to stray outside your home. I could be at the mercy of a foreign power and be arrested and setenced without the rights I have in Canada. And don´t think I didn't get the double entendres in your text ("left leaning on your own government") Yes I probably lean a little to the left as I was an active union member for over thirty years but experience has taught me that both sides need to clean up their act!
I also love the "True North strong and free" ( I have prospered here with my work, children and still believe this an excellent country to be raised in). I have many reasons to start building a home in Colombia.
I do it for my physical health ( for me the jungle is very therapeutic, my apnea goes away when I am here.) The fresh air,water and the huge variety of fruits and vegetables are so good for my body health.
I do it for my mental health, ( Learning a new language and dealing with a different culture is so revitalising for my old rusty brain). If it weren't for covid I would be teaching english at the school near my home.
I do it for my psychological health, I used to play hockey, those days are gone but I do really enjoy skating and teaching my Grandchildren how to skate. It is what I miss most about being in Canada during the winter. But let's be honest here, Canadian winters are cold, daylight is short and the lack of greenery is depressing (serotonin levels drop). I instantley start feeling more alive when I go somewhere green and warm.
I have to go again, Life is getting in the way House won't build itself. Squirrel I have seen Squirrel in Medellin, they are smaller than the canuck squirrels and I know they are in my jungle so don't be afraid to go outside your comfort zone, I have and i never regretted it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jupiter's post:
  • fisa
(01-13-2021, 07:05 PM)Jupiter Wrote: I´m a little confused Squirrel, my battle is with Freedom Mobile not the Colombian Government. Although I do know what you mean about not wanting to stray outside your home. I could be at the mercy of a foreign power and be arrested and setenced without the rights I have in Canada. And don´t think I didn't get the double entendres in your text ("left leaning on your own government") Yes I probably lean a little to the left as I was an active union member for over thirty years but experience has taught me that both sides need to clean up their act!
  I also love the "True North strong and free" ( I have prospered here with my work, children and still believe this an excellent country to be raised in). I have many reasons to start building a home in Colombia.
  I do it for my physical health ( for me the jungle is very therapeutic, my apnea goes away when I am here.) The fresh air,water and the huge variety of fruits and vegetables are so good for my body health.
  I do it for my mental health, ( Learning a new language and dealing with a different culture is so revitalising for my old rusty brain). If it weren't for covid I would be teaching english at the school near my home.
  I do it for my psychological health, I used to play hockey, those days are gone but I do really enjoy skating and teaching my Grandchildren how to skate. It is what I miss most about being in Canada during the winter. But let's be honest here, Canadian winters are cold, daylight is short and the lack of greenery is depressing (serotonin levels drop). I instantley start feeling more alive when I go somewhere green and warm.
  I have to go again, Life is getting in the way House won't build itself. Squirrel I have seen Squirrel in Medellin, they are smaller than the canuck squirrels and I know they are in my jungle so don't be afraid to go outside your comfort zone, I have and i never regretted it.

Sorry, I meant to say something different, and ended up posting a tangent.

Yeah, 'Freedom Mobile' was just another example of a small-time start-up trying to gain a piece of the big-game "Canadian mobile air time" pie. And they bowed out once they had a nice buy-out offer from one of Canada's big-time Mobile players (Bell, Rogers, Telus). I forget which of the three bought Freedom.

I myself am with 'Virgin Mobile' which is another one of those small-time start-ups that got bought out. Amusingly/annoyingly enough, I started with Virgin because it wasn't one of the big players, and specifically not Bell, so guess what happens??  Yup, Bell bought Virgin Mobile. There's another handful of them, of which I don't even remember them all. 'Koodoo', and 'Lucky Mobile' are two that I do.

There is an insane amount of money invested in lobbyist groups for Internet/Mobile companies in Canada.  I am actually a member of a lobby group against them (openmedia.ca). But the little-guy rarely ever wins, and most of those wins end up being overturned.

(Ie: More than a Year ago, the independent ISP TekSavvy went to the CRTC, and got them to demand the Big Three reduce their rates, and them themselves started offering lower rates immediately, on the strength of that, believing they'd get their money back.  But more than a year later, even though a court case supporting the CTRTC decision was WON, STILL we have lost again, as the Federal Government is again allowing the Big Three to &^#$ Canadians, and force us to spend more than pretty much any other country does.)

By getting hitched with a small-player, you end up dealing with the cutbacks in staff that the Big Three impose, because even though one of them now owns 'Freedom' as well, they still want you to be their customer, not Freedom's (if you are following).

Thus, you will never get the service you should with Freedom. Sad

I had visits to the USA planned for last year -- three of them, and I didn't have to make a decision on a conundrum I had -- mainly that my Virgin Mobile cell simply would not work in the USA, even though, naturally, that should be possible.

Again, Bell, the new owner or Virgin wants me to switch to them, so they can charge me exorbitant rates, and are not at all interested in expanding Virgin's market share. Now I'm fighting to keep the awesome deal I had (pre-paid pay-as-you-go $100/yr plan) which has been 'grandfathered' but they are going through exotic attempts to try to get you to miss some deadline, so they can kill your grandfathered account option.
Fight the Good Fight
[-] The following 2 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • fisa, Jupiter
I definitely don’t know the in and outs of the mobile business like a “techy” such as yourself. But I agree because of the monopolies in Canada, we are all paying ridiculously expensive fees with poor service. Because of where I live in Ontario (rural) I get free roaming. BUT they tell me the first 500 megs(1/2 gig) is supposed to be good, after that it is painfully slow. I find it all painfully slow or even non existent. Much like I’m experiencing here in Colombia. They also tell me that the problem I’m having with getting no data is my provider’s fault in Colombia. This is not true because I have put my SIM card in other people’s phone and They can access data from their cellphone.
Thanks for giving me a synopsis of our terribly flawed and corrupt mobile business.