Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constant lag. Optimise performance?
Hi everybody,

I have a 1000 Mbit connection and a 2017 Macbook Pro with the biggest CPU and 16GB memory. When I play Agario with Ogar extension or without, I'm constantly lagging. It's unplayable for me.

I have nothing else open, only Chrome with one tab which is Agario.

Can anyone please help me to figure out, why it constantly lags?

P. S. I know Agario has some lag issues, but when they don't, I'm the only one who lags. All other Ogars plays without any problems
(08-14-2018, 08:48 PM)Davallen Wrote: Hi everybody,

I have a 1000 Mbit connection and a 2017 Macbook Pro with the biggest CPU and 16GB memory. When I play Agario with Ogar extension or without, I'm constantly lagging. It's unplayable for me.

P. S. I know Agario has some lag issues, but when they don't, I'm the only one who lags. All other Ogars plays without any problems

Can you rule out that your ISP isn't using a quality Tier I upstream provider? For example, I know that Cogent is used by a number of providers as a cheap way to gain extra bandwidth, and Cogent does not really guarantee performance. It's intended as extra bandwidth for times when perhaps pne of your big customers is getting hammered with a DDoS attack.

But if your provider is using it (or some similar provider) as just a basic upstream, possibly with either static or 'preferred' routes (another way ISP's use to control their costs, trying to get bandwidth to take the cheaper option out), it could be affecting your ping times regularly and be an issue.

You can try to do a traceroute to the server that you're connecting to, and look at the output to see if you can see your answer there.

If you have trouble analysing the results, feel free to send them to me in a private message, and I can see if I can make anything else out of it, or come up with more ideas?
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
(08-15-2018, 05:14 AM)Squirrel Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 08:48 PM)Davallen Wrote: Hi everybody,

Can you rule out that your ISP isn't using a quality Tier I upstream provider? For example, I know that Cogent is used by a number of providers as a cheap way to gain extra bandwidth, and Cogent does not really guarantee performance. It's intended as extra bandwidth for times when perhaps pne of your big customers is getting hammered with a DDoS attack.

But if your provider is using it (or some similar provider) as just a basic upstream, possibly with either static or 'preferred' routes (another way ISP's use to control their costs, trying to get bandwidth to take the cheaper option out), it could be affecting your ping times regularly and be an issue.

You can try to do a traceroute to the server that you're connecting to, and look at the output to see if you can see your answer there.

If you have trouble analysing the results, feel free to send them to me in a private message, and I can see if I can make anything else out of it, or come up with more ideas?

Thanks for your help. I've sent the result to you. In the meanwhile, I recorded a short game of agar, to show you how it lags.

(08-16-2018, 08:08 PM)Davallen Wrote: Thanks for your help. I've sent the result to you. In the meanwhile, I recorded a short game of agar, to show you how it lags.

I've watched your video, but I don't see any obvious signs of lag? Could you watch it again, and pinpoint several moments where lag was evident to you (ie: how fat into the video those moments were) ?
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
I've recorded a new video with obvious lag. A couple of minutes before, a couple of guys replied that they didn't lag at all.

00:21
00:56
01:29
02:08