Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TUTORIAL: How to Make Transparent Skins
1) Open Microsoft Paint. If you do not have it, use jspaint.app or canvaspaint.org.

2) Press Ctrl+E and change the dimensions to 1024x1024 and press Enter. If your skin is not this large, it will be cropped later. It is only important that it is not smaller than your skin and that both dimensions are even.
[Image: untitled-19.png]

3) Press Ctrl+E again and add about 50 pixels to the width, select Transparent in the Transparency menu, and press Enter.
[Image: untitled-21.png]

4) Use the color dropper tool to obtain the transparent paint color, which is indicated by gray and white checkers.
[Image: untitled-22.png]

5) Press Ctrl+Z to change the dimensions back to 1024x1024.

6) Use the paint bucket tool to make the entire canvas transparent.
[Image: untitled-24.png]

7) Click the magnifying glass icon and select 8x in the menu under the tools to zoom in all the way.
[Image: Screenshot-2020-04-28-at-4-23-53-PM-2.png]

8) Select the pencil tool and choose a color that is NOT in your skin.

9) Starting in the top-left corner, draw a dot in every other pixel going from left to right.
[Image: Screenshot-2020-04-28-at-6-56-14-PM-1.png]

10) When you have about 8 dots, use Ctrl+A to select all, Ctrl+C to copy, and Ctrl+V to paste. Move the pasted region to the end of the row. Repeat this until the top row is full.
[Image: untitled-27.png]

11) Copy and paste the row of pixels under itself. Repeat this until the canvas is filled with vertical lines.
[Image: Screenshot-2020-04-28-at-7-41-07-PM.png]

12) Select and copy the entire image.

13) In the Image menu of the toolbar at the top of the screen, select Flip/Rotate, select Rotate by angle, select 90°, and press Enter.
[Image: untitled-17.png]

[Image: untitled-29.png]

14) Paste the image.
[Image: Screenshot-2020-04-28-at-7-47-56-PM.png]

15) Select the entire image and copy it.

16) Open your skin in 2 new windows.

17) Paste the grid onto your skin in the 1st window.
[Image: Screenshot-2020-04-28-at-8-15-44-PM.png]

18) Press Ctrl+E and add about 50 pixels to the width, select Transparent in the Transparency menu, and press Enter.

19) Use the color dropper tool to obtain the transparent paint color.

20) Press Ctrl+Z to reset the dimensions.

21) Zoom in on any part of the image and use the paint bucket tool to make the grid transparent.
[Image: Screenshot-2020-04-28-at-8-17-12-PM.png]
[Image: Screenshot-2020-04-28-at-8-17-34-PM.png]

22) Return to the window with the grid on it.

23) In the Image menu of the toolbar at the top of the screen, select Flip/Rotate, select Rotate by angle, select 180°, and press Enter.

24) Select the entire image and copy it.

25) Repeat 17-21 for your skin in the 2nd window.

26) Select your entire skin from the 1st window and paste it onto your skin in the 2nd window. All of the pixels should perfectly line up in a checkerboard fashion. Just press Ctrl+S to save your transparent skin and upload it to Agma! Smile
[-] The following 9 users Like DoctorFinkle's post:
  • @Deletedacc21075026, fisa, HutDude, Owl , Redfox, run SPOT run , Sora, Squirrel , xRENDEx
That's a cool method I've never tried! Can you post an image of the finished product?...maybe an image of that kind of skin being used in-game? Thanx!
EDIT: haha read a little more and found you post with the skin in game! Cool look and an interesting way to make it. Thanx again for the post!
p.s. if you're looking for a free high powered image tool, try GIMP. Very similar to Photoshop, but totally free. It's a linux based bit of software (thats why it's free and safe to use), but it will run on windows or mac as well. in GIMP to achieve this effect you'd go to colors/desaturate (to make it black and white) then turn the layer opacity down to 30-50%

[Image: RQHiKeR.png][Image: b9dou4x.png]
opened random globe image in GIMP. cropped tight to globe. right clicked on layer and: add alpha channel (to make it so there's a clear background). use: colors/desaturate. reduced layer opacity to 60% so its see through. just another way to do it, but I'm gonna try using paint because I kinda like that 8bit effect from the grid.  HazRSavage
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like run SPOT run 's post:
  • @Deletedacc21075026, DoctorFinkle, FilipCro125, Squirrel
Woahhh, now I finally know how to mak some cool skins Wink
My discord is alexx#4007
[Image: unknown.png]

Rest in piece Fidget Spinner skin
[-] The following 1 user Likes xRENDEx's post:
  • DoctorFinkle
(05-22-2020, 05:30 PM)run SPOT run Wrote: p.s. if you're looking for a free high powered image tool, try GIMP. Very similar to Photoshop, but totally free. It's a linux based bit of software (thats why it's free and safe to use), but it will run on windows or mac as well. in GIMP to achieve this effect you'd go to colors/desaturate (to make it black and white) then turn the layer opacity down to 30-50%

opened random globe image in GIMP. cropped tight to globe. right clicked on layer and: add alpha channel (to make it so there's a clear background). use: colors/desaturate. reduced layer opacity to 60% so its see through.

Would the Agma software recognize these semi-transparent pixels? Are semi-transparent pixels even universal? @samira also mentioned this to me, I should look into it.

(05-22-2020, 05:30 PM)run SPOT run Wrote:  just another way to do it, but I'm gonna try using paint because I kinda like that 8bit effect from the grid.  HazRSavage

Lol this effect initially really bothered me but I am learning to love it. I am glad you like it! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes DoctorFinkle's post:
  • run SPOT run
(05-23-2020, 09:14 AM)DoctorFinkle Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 05:30 PM)run SPOT run Wrote: p.s. if you're looking for a free high powered image tool, try GIMP. Very similar to Photoshop, but totally free. It's a linux based bit of software (thats why it's free and safe to use), but it will run on windows or mac as well. in GIMP to achieve this effect you'd go to colors/desaturate (to make it black and white) then turn the layer opacity down to 30-50%

opened random globe image in GIMP. cropped tight to globe. right clicked on layer and: add alpha channel (to make it so there's a clear background). use: colors/desaturate. reduced layer opacity to 60% so its see through.

Would the Agma software recognize these semi-transparent pixels? Are semi-transparent pixels even universal? @samira also mentioned this to me, I should look into it.

(05-22-2020, 05:30 PM)run SPOT run Wrote:  just another way to do it, but I'm gonna try using paint because I kinda like that 8bit effect from the grid.  HazRSavage

Lol this effect initially really bothered me but I am learning to love it. I am glad you like it! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes run SPOT run 's post:
  • Briggs-YT
If you want an image to have a clear background it needs to be in the .PNG format. When you create the image and go to save it, just make sure to switch it to .png. If you try with .jpg it will automatically make it have a white or black background (this is why you have to add an alpha channel to an image that was a .jpg that you want to have a clear background).
I've made a bunch of AGMA skins this way. Look at free skins: Beats, Kind Surprise, AGF Star, and Wordy AGF... all of these are either semi-transparent or have cut-outs that show the cell color from behind. 
It's obvious that you put a ton of thought and hard work into that, and that is definitely what's needed for innovation to happen. So good job, and I'm excited to see what you create in the future! Keep it up  Idea
Very detailed and put together lovely. Keep up the amazing work and cant wait to see what you bring to the table in the near future
Lifetime supporter & Lifetime member for:  

Special Thanks to, @Sora & @retslac

[Image: agmalogo_a.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Owl 's post:
  • Redfox
I want to know, what software do you guys use to make your skins? How long does it take? is it a tedious process? I ask these questions because I plan to make my own, so some answers are appreciated.
I use Affinity Photo. It’s similar to Photoshop. But it costs money. Smile

BTW this is the best tutorial ever made on this website. Idea
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redfox's post:
  • fisa