Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Careers/Future Careers?
Heart 
I've been told many times while playing AGF that, because I am an adult, I shouldn't be playing games and should go get a job. Well, I do have a job - and a career. My job is streaming on Twitch, and my career is creating artwork. It was never my plan, because I thought there was no way I would ever get anywhere in life by doing what I really wanted to do, but it somehow worked out! I couldn't be more thankful for the path my life is headed on. 

So, my question is: What is your ultimate goal in life? What is your current, future, or past career? Have you had the chance and the perseverance to achieve your dreams, or do you know that one day you will?

--I decided to include the piece I created that was the turning point in my life, and the exact moment I realized that this is the path I'm meant to be on.

[Image: 07bf89b740.jpg]
Have any questions? Feel free to send me a private message! 

Please remember, I’m only a forums moderator. Not in Agma!  Heart
[-] The following 4 users Like QueenHeather's post:
  • fisa, Squirrel , Voakie , ™ Chronic
(11-06-2016, 06:51 PM)QueenHeather Wrote: I've been told many times while playing AGF that, because I am an adult, I shouldn't be playing games and should go get a job. Well, I do have a job - and a career. My job is streaming on Twitch, and my career is creating artwork. It was never my plan, because I thought there was no way I would ever get anywhere in life by doing what I really wanted to do, but it somehow worked out! I couldn't be more thankful for the path my life is headed on. 

So, my question is: What is your ultimate goal in life? What is your current, future, or past career? Have you had the chance and the perseverance to achieve your dreams, or do you know that one day you will?

--I decided to include the piece I created that was the turning point in my life, and the exact moment I realized that this is the path I'm meant to be on.

I love the picture! It also seems fitting that it involves a light, although I'm not sure if in your drawing, it's shining or not. (Probably not, since the bird perched on top is not nocturnal.)

I say that everyone needs a bit of entertainment in their lives. Games are not just for kids, but for everyone who enjoys having fun. And playing some, is a part of being a well-rounded person.

It doesn't have to be a computer game... it could be a sport instead, or even a board game. But I believe that adding to your fun quotient will make you more likeable and more approachable in everything else that you do.

I am an IT-guy, which has been my intended career since age 17, when I was first introduced to one. (Wow, I think I just gave away how old I am, lol.) There was a time when a lot of the people who knew me kept urging me to become a teacher -- I have done 20 yrs of teaching adults how to use a computer, and I'd be better off financially now, had I followed that advice. But the IT field is ever-diverse and constantly changing. So you can't really afford to 'slow down', but more importantly, the constant change keeps you fresh.

But congrats! Life is sooo much more fun, when you like what you're doing, and feel that it's what you were always intended to do.

And to the younger people out there:
The sooner you start thinking about what you'd like to do, the more chance there is if that coming to pass. The earlier you start, the sooner you can start experimenting with different types of work you think you might like. Chances are, something will really catch your fancy.
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 3 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • fisa, QueenHeather, ℱIRE
(11-06-2016, 07:29 PM)Squirrel Wrote: I love the picture! It also seems fitting that it involves a light, although I'm not sure if in your drawing, it's shining or not. (Probably not, since the bird perched on top is not nocturnal.)

I say that everyone needs a bit of entertainment in their lives. Games are not just for kids, but for everyone who enjoys having fun. And playing some, is a part of being a well-rounded person.

It doesn't have to be a computer game... it could be a sport instead, or even a board game. But I believe that adding to your fun quotient will make you more likeable and more approachable in everything else that you do.

I am an IT-guy, which has been my intended career since age 17, when I was first introduced to one. (Wow, I think I just gave away how old I am, lol.) There was a time when a lot of the people who knew me kept urging me to become a teacher -- I have done 20 yrs of teaching adults how to use a computer, and I'd be better off financially now, had I followed that advice. But the IT field is ever-diverse and constantly changing. So you can't really afford to 'slow down', but more importantly, the constant change keeps you fresh.

But congrats! Life is sooo much more fun, when you like what you're doing, and feel that it's what you were always intended to do.

And to the younger people out there:
  The sooner you start thinking about what you'd like to do, the more chance there is if that coming to pass. The earlier you start, the sooner you can start experimenting with different types of work you think you might like. Chances are, something will really catch your fancy.

I couldn't agree more! Everyone needs a great balance in their life.

I first thought about becoming a nurse because I come from a family of nurses and I thought it was just what I was supposed to do. After that, I realized that I was doing well in English and was told that I needed to be a teacher because it was a "safe" career to choose if I didn't want to be a nurse. It wasn't until almost two years ago that my boyfriend helped me to realize that I can do whatever it is I want to do, and we will make it work.

I'm happy for you that you chose the path that you wanted, instead of the easy way out. As long as you're happy with where you're at, that's true success.
Have any questions? Feel free to send me a private message! 

Please remember, I’m only a forums moderator. Not in Agma!  Heart
i want to work in Florida or for Apple.

[Image: vyNXqdV.gif]

[Image: 8L9jzaX.gif]

Hey! Im breakfast. If you need me, just pop me a message. I may not be active for a while so just take that into thought!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Breakfast 's post:
  • QueenHeather
comp sc boss
[Image: ab5885cbf87a4acb845a20f03a29838b.png]
Honestly, I don't really think too much about my career, and I also have no specific wishes for that
But I do know what I DON'T want to do, so here are a couple 'tree branches' I don't want to be jumping on Tongue

Anything related to art: It's definitely not on my interest list Tongue
Anything related to culture: Same thing as above
History: It's history
Social: Ughhhh
Politics: Uggghhhh
Journalism: No thank you

My interests are mostly chemistry and math (mainly algebra). It's why I chose them in school. Therefore, I also had to take biology, which I'm not really a big fan of, and physics or geography. I chose physics because I thought it would be more useful to me later on. 
Idk why I chose Latin to be honest. I was really good at it in the beginning, but ever since literature and philosophy appeared, it just became UGGGHHHHH. And even though I'm not really a language type of guy, I did choose German as an extra language. I did not pick French, because, for me, it's impossible to follow and I absolutely do NOT think of it as the language of love Angel (No offence to any French-speaking people of course) 

Or maybe I'll just forget about it all and simply start YouTube Kappa
"Do you want to fly with a dragon?"

"No, I want to be a dragon flying"
[-] The following 2 users Like ℱIRE 's post:
  • QueenHeather, Squirrel
(11-06-2016, 06:51 PM)QueenHeather Wrote: I've been told many times while playing AGF that, because I am an adult, I shouldn't be playing games and should go get a job. Well, I do have a job - and a career. My job is streaming on Twitch, and my career is creating artwork. It was never my plan, because I thought there was no way I would ever get anywhere in life by doing what I really wanted to do, but it somehow worked out! I couldn't be more thankful for the path my life is headed on. 

That's a great post and a heart felt confession. Your art piece says a lot of things. I feel a "sense of pride" . Guess I'm proud of you Smile

That's a great post and a heart felt confession. Your art piece says a lot of things. I feel a "sense of pride" . Guess I'm proud of you Smile
Bullies have personal issues.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ™ Chronic 's post:
  • QueenHeather
HA! I've been a carpenter and a painter for years, and it keeps me busy while also keeping me (mostly) happy...My goal is to have your job...no seriously though, I'm glad you found your niche, and hope it keeps you happy. Like everyone else, I wish I made more money, but I enjoy my work, and make great use of my spare time learning about the things I'm interested in (it's only been in the last 5 months or so that I taught myself how to "photoshop". We can always grow, and discover new things about ourselves, and the world around us, so stay curious and never give up! I plan on being better at being me by next year, and I hope you all do too, because a "rut" is no place to hang out, and boredom is no place to be. So...keep playing games, and keep being who you are...and (to borrow a phrase from Miranda) Haters Back Off!
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like run SPOT run 's post:
  • fisa, QueenHeather, Squirrel , ™ Chronic
(11-06-2016, 10:47 PM)ℱIRE Wrote: My interests are mostly chemistry and math (mainly algebra). It's why I chose them in school. Therefore, I also had to take biology, which I'm not really a big fan of, and physics or geography. I chose physics because I thought it would be more useful to me later on. 

Don't be worried, but here's an extra thought to throw on the fire.

I know two people who graduated from University for chemistry; one got his Masters, the other a PhD from Harvard. But neither of them got chemistry jobs; one is in IT now, and the PhD is taking money from bankers. :|

You CAN "go for broke" on any job, if you want it badly enough... but for some choices, it will require moire effort than others, because really, there's just fewer jobs out there.

And alas, the old saying "It's not what you know, but who you know", holds as much or more water than ever before. So your social skills are always important, and you have to do your 'networking' -- try to make contacts, befriend them, and hopefully they'll be able to put in a good word for you, and make sure that your C.V. actually gets read at all. Consider volunteering in your chosen field to make yourself at least 1 quality friend in the field.
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 3 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • fisa, Sora, ℱIRE
(11-06-2016, 10:47 PM)ℱIRE Wrote: Honestly, I don't really think too much about my career, and I also have no specific wishes for that
But I do know what I DON'T want to do, so here are a couple 'tree branches' I don't want to be jumping on Tongue

Anything related to art: It's definitely not on my interest list Tongue
Anything related to culture: Same thing as above
History: It's history
Social: Ughhhh
Politics: Uggghhhh
Journalism: No thank you

My interests are mostly chemistry and math (mainly algebra). It's why I chose them in school. Therefore, I also had to take biology, which I'm not really a big fan of, and physics or geography. I chose physics because I thought it would be more useful to me later on. 
Idk why I chose Latin to be honest. I was really good at it in the beginning, but ever since literature and philosophy appeared, it just became UGGGHHHHH. And even though I'm not really a language type of guy, I did choose German as an extra language. I did not pick French, because, for me, it's impossible to follow and I absolutely do NOT think of it as the language of love Angel (No offence to any French-speaking people of course) 

lots of math physics and chem... you can do computer science lol
[Image: ab5885cbf87a4acb845a20f03a29838b.png]