Hello There, Guest!

Poll: Do you like the Grid?
Yes, my retinas can hack it!
No, it's seared into my brain enough!
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the GRID
Honestly having no idea about how hard it would be, I would like to know if we could ditch the grid background on the servers. The grid seems like unnecessary detail on the board that only creates lag.  I could be wrong, but isn't the grid separate from the image behind it? Whenever anything gets laggy (for me anyway) the grid takes on a new life and starts pulsing with some lines getting bolder and almost appearing to move (that cant be good). I love AGF the best for the game mechanix, and the players, but like playing in other places where the super annoying grid has been tossed and forgotten... my game is less laggy, easier on the eyes, and my gpu doesn't wind up like a jet about to take off when there's no grid like this:
[Image: fa92819a2fb245028e0809630c0b49a6.png]  
So correct me if I'm wrong, but a wallpaper background without the grid would be way better for the game, the players, and my computer!
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like run SPOT run 's post:
  • Sora, ™ Chronic , ✨101✨
(10-25-2016, 11:24 PM)Relax Wrote: Doesn't anti lag turn it off?
nope...not on my game anyway (your referencing "smooth render/no lag" I'm assuming)
Well it should be an option

[Image: enAWQVn.jpg]

[-] The following 1 user Likes Reaction 's post:
  • run SPOT run
There's going to be an option to hide grid Smile

Check the /pro server, it alraedy has this feature in the settings
http://agarioforums.io/pro/#
Have any questions? Send me a message here: http://agarioforums.net/private.php?action=send&uid=1
[-] The following 4 users Like Sora's post:
  • Apix , Joker, run SPOT run , ✨101✨
(10-26-2016, 12:29 AM)Sora Wrote: There's going to be an option to hide grid Smile

Check the /pro server, it alraedy has this feature in the settings
http://agarioforums.io/pro/#

Awesome!

[Image: enAWQVn.jpg]

sweet, cuz here's what it looks like when I lag
[Image: 2756980025144b379299126a8c7c6e81.png]
got some plaid goin on there
(10-25-2016, 10:46 PM)run SPOT run Wrote: Honestly having no idea about how hard it would be, I would like to know if we could ditch the grid background on the servers. The grid seems like unnecessary detail on the board that only creates lag.  I could be wrong, but isn't the grid separate from the image behind it? Whenever anything gets laggy (for me anyway) the grid takes on a new life and starts pulsing with some lines getting bolder and almost appearing to move (that cant be good). I love AGF the best for the game mechanix, and the players, but like playing in other places where the super annoying grid has been tossed and forgotten... my game is less laggy, easier on the eyes, and my gpu doesn't wind up like a jet about to take off when there's no grid like this:
~image snipped~
So correct me if I'm wrong, but a wallpaper background without the grid would be way better for the game, the players, and my computer!

Let's not ignore what the grid does for us -- it allows us to navigate back to a place that we were before. I, for one, think that is important and valuable enough that I don't mind looking at the grid... at all.

I would also refute that drawing the grid creates lag. This is a simple mathematical function, all of which needs to be calculated regardless, when drawing objects on your screen. no additional substantial effort is required to draw the grid.
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
(10-26-2016, 08:16 AM)Squirrel Wrote:
(10-25-2016, 10:46 PM)run SPOT run Wrote: Honestly having no idea about how hard it would be, I would like to know if we could ditch the grid background on the servers. The grid seems like unnecessary detail on the board that only creates lag.  I could be wrong, but isn't the grid separate from the image behind it? Whenever anything gets laggy (for me anyway) the grid takes on a new life and starts pulsing with some lines getting bolder and almost appearing to move (that cant be good). I love AGF the best for the game mechanix, and the players, but like playing in other places where the super annoying grid has been tossed and forgotten... my game is less laggy, easier on the eyes, and my gpu doesn't wind up like a jet about to take off when there's no grid like this:
~image snipped~

Let's not ignore what the grid does for us -- it allows us to navigate back to a place that we were before. I, for one, think that is important and valuable enough that I don't mind looking at the grid... at all.

I would also refute that drawing the grid creates lag. This is a simple mathematical function, all of which needs to be calculated regardless, when drawing objects on your screen. no additional substantial effort is required to draw the grid.

I agree that it's nothing for the cpu, it's the gpu (graphics card) that has a hard time. That grid may be simple but it's a ton of graphical information crying to constantly be refreshed along with the 50+ independently moving cells on the screen at any given time. I'm not sure how the grid works, but it doesn't appear to be part of a "wallpaper" or static background image which would prob be easier to render. I for one, use the map to find my position on the board, but most agario mods have a large grid with (16?) labeled zones that you usually have the option to shut off like a wallpaper. Either way, the tiny grid is hard on my eyes, which is why I always play in dark mode...easier to look at. As for computer performance, I can turn on a real time system monitoring tool and see the difference between the two board types on various sites, and the grids are definitely harder on the machine.
[-] The following 1 user Likes run SPOT run 's post:
  • ™ Chronic
Since my computer sucks... the grid does lag me, but it also helps me like what @Squirrel mentioned.
(10-26-2016, 03:44 PM)run SPOT run Wrote: I agree that it's nothing for the cpu, it's the gpu (graphics card) that has a hard time. That grid may be simple but it's a ton of graphical information crying to constantly be refreshed along with the 50+ independently moving cells on the screen at any given time. I'm not sure how the grid works, but it doesn't appear to be part of a "wallpaper" or static background image which would prob be easier to render. I for one, use the map to find my position on the board, but most agario mods have a large grid with (16?) labeled zones that you usually have the option to shut off like a wallpaper. Either way, the tiny grid is hard on my eyes, which is why I always play in dark mode...easier to look at. As for computer performance, I can turn on a real time system monitoring tool and see the difference between the two board types on various sites, and the grids are definitely harder on the machine.

Hmm, okay. I wasn't giving any thought to the end user's performance -- I was caring strictly for the server, and it's workload.

They couldn't use a static image/wallpaper, because the size of the grid can change, should you zoom in or out. Although, quite frankly, I think they should consider taking that out altogether. All it does, is limit what you can see (if you zoom in), which gives everyone else in your vicinity an advantage on eating you The only thing I find that feature useful for, are those times that you can't read the name on a ball (esp when you are large), and you want to, because there's someone who got eaten that you want to feed some size to, once they refind you, and so on.

(10-26-2016, 03:59 PM)Apix Wrote: Since my computer sucks... the grid does lag me, but it also helps me like what @Squirrel mentioned.

It wouldn't take much to turn off the grid... and since some are playing on older gear, why not?? It would be easy for them to do

Maybe I'm on crack, but I thought this option was already out there? Maybe I'm thinking of AGF??
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
I find a dark black screen more soft comfortable to stare at while I'm dying. It's not as harsh as the grid. Wink

Idea Good post @run SPOT run   lol
Bullies have personal issues.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ™ Chronic 's post:
  • run SPOT run
I'm excited for when this feature is added to AgarioForums.io ~Dances around on table~ because the grid helps me and it doesn't in ways.

It doesn't help me because my computer isn't the best in the world... and my internet doesn't help me either. It's when someone gets bombed by a virus and they split in to a million little bubbles it lags me like crazy. I'm already crazy, but this lag is crazier! Who ever knew something could be crazier then the Joker! ~Hehehehehe~

It does help me when I'm trying to eat someone though, I can almost target their move! Without the grid this might be a little harder since I can't just throw one of my special cards at them! ~Zing~ So either way I'm not winning.

For now I will just stay with the grid as it helps me tackle my victims! ~Ahahaha~
Don't try to play crazy with me, I'm a lot better at it. 
 -Joker

I'm excited too @Joker in fact I cant wait! Anyone who has played on a server, or a mod that has no grid knows what I'm talking about, just ask @Mikasa they know what's up, in fact my demo pic came from the server Mikasa plays on (at Gota.io). This thread is mostly pics from there http://agarioforums.net/showthread.php?tid=3215&page=5  I personally like the AGF game much better, but if you like teaming and vanilla agario, that sites pretty darn good (I play as [hunt13]shy when I'm there). And @Squirrel they sure can use a wallpaper style background (it's been done here even), and it's much lighter than the grid (but still just another thing to be rendered and therefore induce lag). The board size is constant. Think of it like this, the board is a constant, you move around and change size and viewing aspect, but the board is just that, a board, and you just have blinders on restricting what you can see.
But the point is, No grid=No problem....you wont miss it, trust me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes run SPOT run 's post:
  • Mikasa