Register
Hello There, Guest!

Poll: What is your OS of choice?
Linux
Windows
Mac OS X
BSD
Android (technically Linux, I know...)
Windows mobile (technically Windows, I know)
IOS
Something Else (Please specify in the comments)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
OS of choice?
What OS do you use?
-LKD70
Linux mostly, though I like to use Mac OS X when I get the chance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes NesGee's post:
  • LKD70
I had to use OS X a lot back in my media days, despise it.
-LKD70
I use ubunto and for Windows i use a modified xp

I'm about to switch my Windows machine back to win7 just for some of the supported on screen keyboard fonts though
[Image: giphy.gif]
Ubuntu* and I hope you're not using unity?
-LKD70
i actually was using lubuntu untill it got heavy, then switched to elementary for a year, and just recently went back to ubuntu...yes its still unity lol, ill grab a lighter weight launcher soon and strip down the ubuntu package. it comes with so much bloat, its slower than elementary was (until i overloaded that)...it's basically my kids machine now, I just use it to break (and sometimes fix Wink ) android devices
Im no computer wiz, I'm just way too in to messing with stuff....learning to fix what I broke sure is instructional though! haha
oh yeah....desktop, not launcher....same thing different language.
Desktop Environment Tongue

And you should try Linux Mint, lightweight Ubuntu with great core features and either MATE or Cinnamon as the DE (based on Gnome 2 so they're lovely. Ofc others are available like gnome 3, kde and xfce but eh).
-LKD70
[-] The following 1 user Likes LKD70 's post:
  • run SPOT run
I support windows and prefer windows since I've grown up w/ it, when I first used windows, I was using windows 98, now I'm using windows 10. It also is convenient for when I need to find something since I can search for it on the task bar, and how easy it it to get around if you have experience. It can be glitchy and annoying, but that's something I can easily deal with.
You can search anything anywhere in most linux distro's Tongue

I too grew up in a windows orientated household, though i soon made right of that.
-LKD70
(01-16-2016, 07:05 PM)Sinister Wrote: I support windows and prefer windows since I've grown up w/ it, when I first used windows, I was using windows 98, now I'm using windows 10. It also is convenient for when I need to find something since I can search for it on the task bar, and how easy it it to get around if you have experience. It can be glitchy and annoying, but that's something I can easily deal with.

Me 2, but Mac OSX is cool too, learnt the coding basics with OSX (Don't ask me why)
[Image: Voakie.png]
xcode? F#$% that lmao

OSX has a nice file system (Unix based, of course) everything else though, too limited.
-LKD70
so, got mint 17.3 up and running....so much smoother than windows on this machine. nothing buggy about it (like linux elementary ...ugh)...overall very happy so far, thanx for the heads up! now i get to spend the next couple hours customizing lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes run SPOT run 's post:
  • LKD70
went with the Rosa version, its great if you came from windows! oly things I really had to do were a couple minor tweaks, mostly getting rid of firefox and adding chrome so all my bookmarks came through, and so i dont have to run wine+silverlight just to get netflix to work. super snappy and a really easy transition OS. well, time to go reformat my thumbdrive back to fat32....I'll have to teach myself that trick on linux some day, but I'm too used to using diskpart on m.s.
Should use chromium not chrome... Just a heads up. And firefox is very very useful to have on Linux distro's.
-LKD70
chromium doesn't support silverlight which is key to running Netflix. I'ts basically my kids computer, so it gets used for movies and flash games mostly unless I'm using it as a support tool for android bridge debugging. I don't uninstall firefox, i just remove shortcuts to keep the interface uncluttered, although I really don't see any reason to keep it other than its a less intrusive browser than chrome (I guess I'm willing to trade a lil privacy for convenience), but I don't really do anything online that is likely to draw anyone's attention. That's why I don't use any antivirus software, I just encrypt files/folders, and make backups of things I need. A firewall, adblocker, and regular cleaning work way better than allowing Trojan horses (any antivirus software) on my machine. Since I'm not really interested in altering the code on my web browser I have no need to use chromium, and as long as I'm letting google spy on me, I might as well get all the benefits of chrome. But let me know if I'm just living in ignorant bliss, I'm an old dog, but happy to learn new tricks!
And before anyone gets all excited about anti virus software....I opted out 5 years ago and have had fewer problems, fewer glitches, no viruses, and faster machines since then. My rule of thumb is research any questionable online activity before engaging in it i.e. downloading anything/ opening unsolicited emails. I will never go back.