Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Good Reads
Hi Guys!

I have decided to make a thread where you can post you favorite books as well as a foreword or a few sentences explaining why you like it and why we should read it. This thread is pretty much like The Best Music thread except with books, the same rules apply: one book per post and please be kind/respectful of other people's opinions!

Also I don't know how many of  you read for fun, I know some people who haven't read a single book since graduating college, but like Seth Godin says"It's not an accident that successful people read more books."

Here are a few examples of other successful people who read:
  • Bill Gates reads about 50 books per year, which breaks down to 1 per week
  • Mark Cuban reads more than 3 hours every day
  • Elon Musk is an avid reader and when asked how he learned to build rockets, he said “I read books.”
  • Mark Zuckerberg resolved to read a book every 2 weeks throughout 2015
  • Oprah Winfrey selects one of her favorite books every month for her Book Club members to read and discuss
And these aren’t just isolated examples. A study of 1,200 wealthy people found that they all have reading as a pastime in common.
Alright, i'll go first!
[Image: latest?cb=20120426104001]
So this ^ is probably my favorite fiction/fantasy book, I got it as a present when I was in third grade from my aunt. I don't know how many Harry Potter fans are on this forum, but just to throw it out there, I never read Harry Potter growing up (although I recently read the first two books), I thought it was a bandwagon series lol, so when I received The Lightning Thief (the first book in the Percy Jackson series), I read the whole series and enjoyed it very much. I highly recommend it for all ages, I won't tell you anything about the plot or any other details, all I can say is you should read it yourself   Tongue
[Image: A4IOGZS.png]
[-] The following 11 users Like ✨101✨ 's post:
  • Apix , Conquest, Final, Mikasa, Relax , run SPOT run , Sora, Squirrel , Voakie , ™ Chronic , ℱIRE
Wow, I like this a lot! I've actually been searching for good books recently. Have a list with some good ones, though I haven't had time to them read yet.
The same quotes you mentioned, I mentioned a couple days ago to someone.
Have any questions? Send me a message here: http://agarioforums.net/private.php?action=send&uid=1
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sora's post:
  • ✨101✨
In the lightning thief theres a special humans camp or something and they're like half monster/greek god half human and then theres this one name percy jackson. He's mixed with poseidon i think. But the main character (percy jackson) has a group of 3 people and they go on quests and stuff. Later on this one annoying kid from the camp messes them up and throws lightning at them and they have a duel or something. Then percy wins and next year they explore an island with a dragon or something. I forgot most of it, there's your spoil tho

[Image: giphy.gif]
You heard the man.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cen's post:
  • ✨101✨
(09-27-2016, 03:50 PM)Cen Wrote: In the lightning thief theres a special humans camp or something and they're like half monster/greek god half human and then theres this one name percy jackson. He's mixed with poseidon i think. But the main character (percy jackson) has a group of 3 people and they go on quests and stuff. Later on this one annoying kid from the camp messes them up and throws lightning at them and they have a duel or something. Then percy wins and next year they explore an island with a dragon or something. I forgot most of it, there's your spoil tho

[Image: nice.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes ✨101✨ 's post:
  • Conquest
The first book in the Mistborn series: The Final Empire.
[Image: 6547258._UY200_.jpg]

Honestly, it is probably my favourite book rn it's plot is pretty simple, however, it has ALOT of twists and the way it does magic is amazing! 

Fantasy, Action, 3rd person novel would recommend 13+

Honestly, the characters and the twists are just incredible! there are 2 other sequels that are really good but this book just takes the spotlight for me.

(Also Percy jackson was like the 1st series I actually liked reading xD)
i think you think too much of me

i think i think too much

[-] The following 1 user Likes Conquest's post:
  • ✨101✨
In this amazing book, the author  Michael Ellsberg guides you to developing practical success skills in the real world, it includes interviews from a range of millionaires and billionaires who don't have college degrees, including fashion magnate Russell Simmons and Facebook founding president Sean Parker. I would highly recommend this book to anyone with the entrepreneurial mindset(or if you are trying to develop that mindset.)

@Sora you should definitely read this, personally it greatly changed my perspective on certain aspects of life.
[Image: The-Education-of-Millionaires.jpg]
(09-27-2016, 05:04 PM)✨101✨ Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 03:50 PM)Cen Wrote: In the lightning thief theres a special humans camp or something and they're like half monster/greek god half human and then theres this one name percy jackson. He's mixed with poseidon i think. But the main character (percy jackson) has a group of 3 people and they go on quests and stuff. Later on this one annoying kid from the camp messes them up and throws lightning at them and they have a duel or something. Then percy wins and next year they explore an island with a dragon or something. I forgot most of it, there's your spoil tho

Why does all the others get likes except me? Unfair :c.

You heard the man.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cen's post:
  • Relax
(09-27-2016, 05:30 PM)Cen Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 05:04 PM)✨101✨ Wrote:

Why does all the others get likes except me? Unfair :c.
@Cen lol sorry I was in school didn't have the chance to 'like' your post, though to be 100% honest it's not nice to spoil plots of stories young man.  Dodgy 

I read this book a few weeks back:
[Image: 51%2BmC7NJxHL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
In Triggers, Marshall Goldsmith, bestselling author and world-renowned executive coach explains that change, no matter how urgent and clear we need it, is hard. Knowing what to do does not ensure that we will actually do it. "We are superior planners, but  inferior doers," remarks Goldsmith, as our environment influences us through the course of our day. We forget our intentions. We become tired, even depleted, and allow our discipline to crumble. Filled with revealing and illuminating stories from his work with some of the most successful chief executives and power brokers in the business world, Goldsmith offers a personal playbook on how to achieve change in our lives, make it stick, and become the person we envision ourselves to be.
@Sora @Relax I think you guys will enjoy this book.
[-] The following 2 users Like ✨101✨ 's post:
  • Cen, Relax
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTN7RNLVwfJzmQ5acA_9nN...kfY5g2uzG3]

The Name of the Wind is a book that I jus finished and the way it is written is so good <3 ughh 

Basically, it's set in a fantasy world and the story is about a living legend and probably the most famous person in the world growing up; from his mischievous and trouble-making self to heroic flair this book is GR8 

(unless you want the 3rd book in the series to actually come out... ever...)
i think you think too much of me

i think i think too much

[-] The following 1 user Likes Conquest's post:
  • ✨101✨
[Image: 51gir4MU%2B2L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg][Image: ef7cdb0e5b72f9acf6a6b7eab6fc22b2.jpg]
So I just finished reading this book a last week, it's called 11/22/63, by Stephen King (the first Stephen King book I have read.) It's about a man who goes back in time attempting to prevent JFK's assassination. This book was a whopping 850 pages, and I finished it in a week, I'm mentioning this just to prove how good of a book it was.; on a scale of 1-10, I would without hesitation rate it a 9. So guys if you ever have any free time go ahead and check it out!
if you like old video games and decent sci fi
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWpxNZupWTxKEoVaD-U0C...n8tl1rwj9p]
recently translated from Chinese, a great read
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYHERdrEBc9LSik6OR24N...DXWdPn-VpT]

if your excited about future Mars exploration, this series is great
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlGf81lyWYvjCVrFJqQWK...Iufh0I8i1X]
Atwood is a master of dystopian futures
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_3YCNN-qcNj_Fluy19iO...KmeNeUH6Ds]

i read about a novel a week, so I have a hard time remembering what I've read recently, but if you ever need a good sci fi recommendation, I can think of something lol

[Image: 410WUqhZRbL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes run SPOT run 's post:
  • ✨101✨
(09-27-2016, 02:52 PM)✨101✨ Wrote: Also I don't know how many of  you read for fun, I know some people who haven't read a single book since graduating college, but like Seth Godin says"It's not an accident that successful people read more books."

I agree with this, and give a lot of credit to my enjoying reading books as a young kid, in developing my mind, and being able to write reasonably well.

As the years went on, I didn't read very much any longer, but one guy I have to mention. I give this man credit for essentially teaching me everything that I know about military matters: Tom Clancy.

Alas, he is no longer with us, but he enjoyed being long-winded -- I don't think any of his fiction works are less than 800 pages.

One of my favourite's of his is "Clear and Present Danger", which brings you into the 'war on drugs', and beautifully introduces you to the rigours of how you take an infantryman, and turn them into a lead scout -- someone you can send in extremely close to the enemy to take stock of things, and a 100% accurate depiction of their fieldcraft.

I think I've read all of his wartime stories, and there isn't one that I wouldn't recommend.

RIP, Tom.
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 2 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • run SPOT run , ✨101✨
[Image: %7BC80808F5-CDE0-45C0-B58B-54DF26BC8CD7%7DImg100.jpg]
Got recommended this book, haven't read it yet but I though I'd mention it anyway.
Have A Nice Day! d(・ω・)b

yay FINNALLY .

I'm a massive book fan. I LOVE Harry Potter and i love teen fiction( btw I'm a boy so it's strange)

I loved the HP series but my favourites are the MAZE RUNNER TRILOGY(I read the 3 books in 12hr) and the DIVERGENT series.

I do like a bit of RICK RIORDAN but not Percy Jackson(sorry) I prefer the KANE chronicals

[Image: vyNXqdV.gif]

[Image: 8L9jzaX.gif]

Hey! Im breakfast. If you need me, just pop me a message. I may not be active for a while so just take that into thought!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Breakfast 's post:
  • ✨101✨
(10-31-2016, 09:33 PM)Breakfast Wrote: yay FINNALLY .

I'm a massive book fan. I LOVE Harry Potter and i love teen fiction( btw I'm a boy so it's strange)

I loved the HP series but my favourites are the MAZE RUNNER TRILOGY(I read the 3 books in 12hr) and the DIVERGENT series.

I do like a bit of RICK RIORDAN but not Percy Jackson(sorry) I prefer the KANE chronicals

I'm a massive Harry Potter fan, as you can tell from my signature...

I trust you understand what scene it presents. 
Have A Nice Day! d(・ω・)b

[-] The following 1 user Likes CantREKTMe 's post:
  • Breakfast