Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bosses and their Crazy Philosophies
So who here has worked for a crazy person??!

I have had PLENTY such opportunities, and thought I'd share some. (lol)

I once worked for a guy whose favourite rule was, "Take first, apologize later". He was a Department Head at the highschool I went to, and at the end of the school year, knowing that everything would soon be in chaos anyways, he would look for rooms that were unlocked, and go through it looking for things he could abscond with. Filing cabinets, teacher's desks, things like that.

The same crazy foo', after being promoted to Co-Ordinator of Math would use Board money to buy his friends Christmas presents, and tried to bull his way to a Phd on a completely baseless premise that math was more difficult for girls than it was for boys.

I also worked for a screamer whose favourite line was, 'Work smart, not hard'. That same guy, at his wedding reception, greeted each person at the door with what appeared to be a fully stocked bar, and asked them what they were having. Whatever you asked for, he took two shot glasses, filled each with a generous volume shot, said 'Cheers', and you and he would both down the shot. How that man was NOT at a hospital having his stomach pumped two hours later, I'll never know!

And one more -- I worked for a guy who owned his own business (selling computers and it's parts), who would preface almost every last thing he said with, "My guy". If he spoke in sentences, more than half started with those two words, lol. He was a crazy haggler. He would gladly argue back and forth with someone for an hour over a nickel. But then on the other hand, he had 4 phone lines for his store, one of which doubled as his personal phone number, since he lived on the 3rd floor (Above the store, and above the 'repairs' department that also put together computers to sell on the 2nd floor.) Many nights I stayed there overnight doing things, and he would come by at 6am in the morning, and we'd go for coffee and a donut, his treat.

Most of you are young! I hope you will give some thought today, into discovering the kind of work you would like to do that will make you happy to go to, every day! Once you discover what you love to do, you can go about plotting how to get to that job you'd almost gladly do for free, but get paid well enough to make a living out of it. Smile
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 2 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • fisa, Jupiter
Seriously?!

Only a BOT tried replying to this?!

(Die, bot, diieeee!!)

Really though. While playing games is a great way to cool off and ease any anxiety in your life, by taking care of your future first, you will greatly reduce more anxiety that is coming your way!!
Fight the Good Fight
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • fisa
Yes squirrel I have had a few bosses that were real “characters” like your “ have a drink with every worker boss” at his wedding ( never mind if he needed medical attention, How impressed was his new wife).
  One of my first oddball bosses in a survey crew I had this boss with a but if a temper. I was 17 at the time, the first day I careless carried his theodolite (an expensive optical instrument used by surveyors to measure angles and distances). It wasn’t locked so the telescope part swiveled while making a horrible sound. He was colourfully vocal about that one although he didn’t let me know it needed to be locked before asking me to carry it. Another time I forget why he was angry but a lot of times it was my job to hold a plumb bob and a hundred meter tape perfectly over a marker while my boss was on the other end pulling on the tape measure and watching the one handling the theodolite instructions,left or right to place another marker. Whatever happened that day, all I remember is my boss cursing( glad I was 100 meters away) throwing his clipboard and helmet and jumping up and down. Now I laugh about it but I was a little scared at the time.
  During my long career with a certain auto company I had many jobs and bosses and most of them were a little or completely odd. one of the oddest statements I’ve ever heard was from the plant manager at a management-union meeting and I quote “ This is my sand box, I have I the big shovel and you have the itty bitty little shovel.  If you try to throw sand at me, I will bury you with my big shovel”.
   Spoken like a tyrannical child this guy got promoted to head of operations in China.
   I think your not getting so many answers to this post is because the age of most the people on this forum.
  I know you are in a managerial position and have a view from the other side of the coin?
(08-06-2021, 03:48 PM)Jupiter Wrote:  "If you try to throw sand at me, I will bury you with my big shovel”.
   Spoken like a tyrannical child this guy got promoted to head of operations in China.

LOL!@  What a perfect way to get this guy out of your hair!  Give him a promotion, and send him to the other side of the world.  If he accepts the promotion, let him sit around in China for a few months, then fire him. Make up whatever if you have to.

That reminds me of a different story. This wasn't a boss, but a teacher in a high school. I taught there at night, teaching adults how to use computers. I would show up there early often, needing to finish up class notes, do photocopying, and so on.  One day when I came in, a few kids were still there, and they're standing at the blackboard, looking at what was on it, and appearing to be very confused.

So I go over, I'm looking at all of it and said "Oh!  You're trying to learn how DNS works!" (Dynamic Name Servers; they accept requests with a mneumonic address such as 'agma.io' and return it's IP address such as 219.254.37.15) "The problem is -- this is all completely wrong. We need to start over."

So after I finish all of thet, I had to wonder... "Who was trying to teach them that?!" And it was this new teacher.

They had needed a new 'Head of Comp Sci', because the old one was retiring. They had hired this lady who when they checked her references, the old school was praising her work there. So they hired her.

I had a look at her resume and realized that she had lied on it, and made up certifications that she didn't have. She said she had experience with a certain version of Novell Networks, but she'd only had limited experience with the newest one. And her first act was to blow 2 years of the CompSci budget by convincing the principal of the school they needed to upgrade to the latest version.

I happened to recognize one of her 'references', and had previously known them. As it turned out the prior high school had hired her on as their Assistant Head of CompSci, and regretted it because it quickly became obvious that she knew very little and was a lousy teacher. In their desperation to get rid of her (they couldn't fire her because the teachers' union is too strong), they sold her as a 'great teacher who would make a fine department head'!

Talking to other references, it became obvious that she had been doing this for years, continually pushing herself up the pay grade.

So now this school's principal had to figure out how to get rid of her.

He actually conspired with School Board Management, who created a new department at the Board level, gave it a nice pay increase, and then had her made aware of it on the down-low. She thought she was jumping at a chance for another promotion. But Board Management positions are no longer teachers -- thus they lose the protection of the union. And as it turned out, they created the department for two years, but then it was trashed, probably at the political level. And they were finally rid of her. But not before she'd made her way through the ranks over almost 10 years.

It was the first time I'd ever encountered something that was a prime example of the saying, "One can be promoted to their own level of incompetance." And I'd previously had no idea that this was actually a known way for dealing with bad employees protected by a union that was too strong.

I pale to consider how much money it took to get rid of her!
Fight the Good Fight
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • Jupiter
I didn’t think of his promotion to China as a ploy to get rid of the “ sand box man” but I suppose if he was a pain for the union, he was also a pain for management. The guy did return to Oshawa five years later as head of engineering so it was a demotion for him. He was less of a problem as head of engineering.
And the biggest boss blunder of them all

Oops accidentally pressed the post reply when I wasn’t finished. Yeah my company’s biggest blunder happened in 2008 when Rick Wagoner our illustrious C.E.O. decided to hop in his corporate jet and fly to Washington to ask for a few billion dollars to bail out his company during these troubling times.The result being laughed out of Washington and asked to resign by the Obama administration as part of the bailout package. The “ poor guy” resigned ( retired) with a 10 million dollar severance pay, 1.65 million dollar benefit for the next five years and a $74,000 yearly pension for the rest of his life. Not bad for a guy who almost bankrupted the largest automotive company in the world at the time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jupiter's post:
  • Squirrel
interesting
Smile Tongue