Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As the World Turns
Squirrel....Americans are very particular about their toilet paper.....Most Americans fear what would happen if they were sitting on the toilet and realize they have no toilet paper, it's enough to make us panic. When disaster strikes Americans run for Bread, milk, and toilet paper LOL. Btw, I went to the grocery store yesterday and people were literally running out of the store with arm loads of toilet paper HAHA...they had some poor clerk divvying out packages. I couldn't help but laugh and go on with my own shopping.
[Image: SurakAtticus.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like SurakAtticus's post:
  • Sora, Squirrel
(03-13-2020, 08:49 PM)SurakAtticus Wrote: Squirrel....Americans are very particular about their toilet paper.....Most Americans fear what would happen if they were sitting on the toilet and realize they have no toilet paper, it's enough to make us panic.    When disaster strikes Americans run for Bread, milk, and toilet paper LOL.   Btw, I went to the grocery store yesterday and people were literally running out of the store with arm loads of toilet paper HAHA...they had some poor clerk divvying out packages.  I couldn't help but laugh and go on with my own shopping.

I had my own encounter much earlier today, when I went home from work. I spent 1.5 hours in the "express lane" buying just 4 things! (Keep in mind, this was around 1 pm on a work day!)

For me, toilet paper doesn't matter a dang! I could get by with zero of it, and my back end would be cleaner for it. Washcloth, soap & hot water. Smile

Tomorrow being Saturday, I wonder if it'll be better or worse. (lol) I'll let you all know when I get home!

Canadians seem to be clueless. Only a miniscule 138 confirmed cases (0 suspected)... 110 of those definitely the product of travelling. 14 of the 28 remaining were relatives or cohabitating with other infected cases, leaving just 14 cases unexplained. And so far, just 1 death. But there the people are, cleaning out store shelves anyways. (lol)

I'll be keeping an eye on this. The real test begins once it is spreading socially, which is likely just a matter of time.
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • SurakAtticus
Just 2 days later, the # of cases here has gone from 138 to 244.

This is the source of this data which is being updated daily.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/s...ction.html

And a few more points I thought that were pertinent:
  • 29% of cases are 60 years old and over
  • 12% of cases have been hospitalized
  • 79% of cases are travellers and 8% are close contacts of travellers
  • 1 person has died of COVID-19 in Canada

So for 13% (32 instances) of cases, the source of it is either unknown, or the result of community spread.

Those numbers should go up by a lot, and show how well our citizens are listening to news, and more importantly, changing their day to day habits to help reduce the community spread part of this.
Fight the Good Fight
This is the source of this data which is being updated daily.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/s...ction.html

The site only gives the latest days data. I'm going to show the progression of cases down below.

Pertinent points:
  • 32% of cases are 60 years old and over
  • 12% of cases have been hospitalized
  • 74% of cases are travellers and 11% are close contacts of travellers
  • 8 people have died of COVID-19 in Canada

In the previous check I'd posted, there were 79% of traveller cases, and 8% close contacts. The percentage of travellers will slowly be pushed down as community spread continues, but notice that there's now 11% that are close contacts of cases, which is going up. This is why, if you've travelled, you should just assume that you're incubating it, and self-isolate for 14 days. If everyone did this, this thing would be done with faster.

The cases that get bad, and require hospitalization are largely from those people 60+ who caught it. Young people are very unlikely to die of this. However, everyone needs to be concerned, because you can still be a carrier and spread it. Any many families will have your grandfather or grandmother living with you, as their time on Earth starts to run out.

Community spread in Canada is now 15% (85 cases)

Check out the historic data, which shows how quickly this thing can get started in your area.  I live in the province of Ontario, which is the 'ONT' data.
Unfortunately, this software does not permit the creating of tables, but hopefully you can read it.

------------ ------- --- ---- --PERCENTAGE RISE--
--DATE---- -CASES- ONT DEAD CASES ONT DEAD
13-MAR-20  138 ……….. ?  ..1 ……...-- -- 0%
14-MAR-20  244 ……….. ?  ..1 77% …….. -- 0%
15-MAR-20  304 ……… 142 ..1 25% ……… -- 0%
16-MAR-20  324 ……… 145 ..1  7% ...…. 2% 0%
17-MAR-20  424 …….. 177 ..4 31% …… 22% 300%
18-MAR-20  569 ……… 189 ..8 34% …….. 7% 100%
-- = Unrecorded data
.. = Spacing to try to make this more readable
Fight the Good Fight

------------ ------- --- ---- --PERCENTAGE RISE--
--DATE---- -CASES- ONT DEAD CASES ONT DEAD
13-MAR-20  138 ……….. ?  ..1 ……...-- -- 0%
14-MAR-20  244 ……….. ?  ..1 77% …….. -- 0%
15-MAR-20  304 ……… 142 ..1 25% ……… -- 0%
16-MAR-20  324 ……… 145 ..1  7% ...…. 2% 0%
17-MAR-20  424 …….. 177 ..4 31% …… 22% 300%
18-MAR-20  569 ……… 189 ..8 34% …….. 7% 100%
-- = Unrecorded data
.. = Spacing to try to make this more readable

Well, it's starting to get real in Canada now, over 6000 cases and 66 dead to start this week.

It's crazy to me that the USA has over 120K cases. You guys are going to be staring down the National Guard, at that rate. Sad

I'm starting to be afraid, riding the busses, because while when there's just a few people on the bus, people are doing as they should and 'social distancing', but I have yet to see a guy step on the bus, realize it was too "full" and step off again.
Fight the Good Fight
So it's been a few weeks, and I thought that I'd post an update.

After days and weeks of seeing daily advances in # of cases by 10% or more, I am happy to say that over the past 4-5 days, we're seeing better numbers of just 4-7% instead!

Social Distancing is working, and we just have to keep at it, and follow our local government's directions on this thing.

It will likely be a long time still, before things "are back to normal"... perhaps it will just be a "new normal", and we'll start to resume all the things we used to do, just with a bit more risk involved.

I wanted this to be longer, and have more concrete good news (ie: facts and numbers), but first I must sleep. lol
Fight the Good Fight
  • @Deletedacc21075026
(04-15-2020, 08:57 PM)Squirrel Wrote: So it's been a few weeks, and I thought that I'd post an update.

After days and weeks of seeing daily advances in # of cases by 10% or more, I am happy to say that over the past 4-5 days, we're seeing better numbers of just 4-7% instead!

Social Distancing is working, and we just have to keep at it, and follow our local government's directions on this thing.

It will likely be a long time still, before things "are back to normal"... perhaps it will just be a "new normal", and we'll start to resume all the things we used to do, just with a bit more risk involved.

I wanted this to be longer, and have more concrete good news (ie: facts and numbers), but first I must sleep. lol
April 16 and Canada has over 30,000 cases. A month ago(March16) Canada had 341 cases.Hate to think how high those numbers would be if Canadians didn't practice social distancing and didn't close  all the non essential services. All we are doing and it doesn't seem to be working. Yet do we have any other alternative?
[-] The following 2 users Like Jupiter's post:
  • @Deletedacc21075026, Squirrel
(04-17-2020, 01:43 PM)Jupiter Wrote: April 16 and Canada has over 30,000 cases. A month ago(March16) Canada had 341 cases.Hate to think how high those numbers would be if Canadians didn't practice social distancing and didn't close  all the non essential services. All we are doing and it doesn't seem to be working. Yet do we have any other alternative?

Yes, the # of cases is no longer increasing daily by more than 10%, but it's still increasing 5-8%. Just a few people not doing what they should is preventing the results from being even better, I believe.

Here in Toronto, I ride the public transit... Going to work (I start at 22:00) is never a problem... the busses and subways are pretty deserted. But coming home (from 11:00-13:00), I have had a few days where while I got on a bus and was able to sit a comfortable distance away from others, but subsequently more people get on afterwards, and suddenly you're 2' from someone, not 6'. (People are still used to cramming onto a bus, and it seems saving that 6-8 minutes of time is more important to them than their/everyone's health.)

People going to the grocery stores seem to be clueing in, with more than 50% wearing masks now, but on the bus, it's still closer to 30%. (At night, though, it must be mostly essential workers going home; there I see closer to 60-75% wearing masks.)

I have huge questions about how much people make antibodies if their bodies have fought it and won. So far I see just one story that a group of researchers in the USA are very close to having a test for COVID-19 antibodies, and that would be great.  If people who have had it, fight it off easier following, and never become symptomatic/infectious again, then that allows us to gradually clear the # of cases, so that most have been resolved. And once that happens, everything will start going back to something closer to normal again.

However, if it turns out that people can catch it again, and are just as infectious the second time around, then this thing becomes a far more serious problem, and we start looking at a completely different picture of a 'new normal'.

For the world economy's sake, I hope people are making antibodies that kick it's butt!

I figure that another weeks worth of data should offer some answers, even if the scientists still don't have a test.
Fight the Good Fight
  • Jupiter
(04-18-2020, 03:46 PM)Squirrel Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 01:43 PM)Jupiter Wrote: April 16 and Canada has over 30,000 cases. A month ago(March16) Canada had 341 cases.Hate to think how high those numbers would be if Canadians didn't practice social distancing and didn't close  all the non essential services. All we are doing and it doesn't seem to be working. Yet do we have any other alternative?

Yes, the # of cases is no longer increasing daily by more than 10%, but it's still increasing 5-8%. Just a few people not doing what they should is preventing the results from being even better, I believe.

Here in Toronto, I ride the public transit... Going to work (I start at 22:00) is never a problem... the busses and subways are pretty deserted. But coming home (from 11:00-13:00), I have had a few days where while I got on a bus and was able to sit a comfortable distance away from others, but subsequently more people get on afterwards, and suddenly you're 2' from someone, not 6'. (People are still used to cramming onto a bus, and it seems saving that 6-8 minutes of time is more important to them than their/everyone's health.)

People going to the grocery stores seem to be clueing in, with more than 50% wearing masks now, but on the bus, it's still closer to 30%. (At night, though, it must be mostly essential workers going home; there I see closer to 60-75% wearing masks.)

I have huge questions about how much people make antibodies if their bodies have fought it and won. So far I see just one story that a group of researchers in the USA are very close to having a test for COVID-19 antibodies, and that would be great.  If people who have had it, fight it off easier following, and never become symptomatic/infectious again, then that allows us to gradually clear the # of cases, so that most have been resolved. And once that happens, everything will start going back to something closer to normal again.

However, if it turns out that people can catch it again, and are just as infectious the second time around, then this thing becomes a far more serious problem, and we start looking at a completely different picture of a 'new normal'.

For the world economy's sake, I hope people are making antibodies that kick it's butt!

I figure that another weeks worth of data should offer some answers, even if the scientists still don't have a test.
Being retired and my younger son got let go from his job. He worked in a diner so they don't need him for now. We are at home self isolating with my wife. So we don't go out or visit people. Both my brothers seem to be taking this self isolation seriously. Haven't even seen the older bro since I returned from Colombia over a month ago, just phone calls. My older son is a contractor framer and is still working, only seen him a few times. I think is difficult for the grand kids cause we were away for a few months and even with no school we've only seen them a few times since we've been back.  As long as our basic needs are met ( food, shelter and water) all of us can ride out this storm. I also think things will not get back to normal for a long time. When do you think they will open movie theatres ( and if they do will people go). Or will there be a 2020-2021 N.H.L. season. Never mind that what about our economy. I'm O.K. for now but I worry about the future more than ever. It could take a very long time to recover economically from this.
(04-18-2020, 04:59 PM)Jupiter Wrote: Being retired and my younger son got let go from his job. He worked in a diner so they don't need him for now. We are at home self isolating with my wife. So we don't go out or visit people. Both my brothers seem to be taking this self isolation seriously. Haven't even seen the older bro since I returned from Colombia over a month ago, just phone calls. My older son is a contractor framer and is still working, only seen him a few times. I think is difficult for the grand kids cause we were away for a few months and even with no school we've only seen them a few times since we've been back.  As long as our basic needs are met ( food, shelter and water) all of us can ride out this storm. I also think things will not get back to normal for a long time. When do you think they will open movie theatres ( and if they do will people go). Or will there be a 2020-2021 N.H.L. season. Never mind that what about our economy. I'm O.K. for now but I worry about the future more than ever. It could take a very long time to recover economically from this.

Yes, it's been more than a month now since I saw my kids, which is hard. My youngest is just 3, and he keeps wanting o call me, lol. I have been going nowhere except to work, and the grocery store. (lol)

It's a good thing for your son that he can come and stay with you. I think a bunch of people will have moved back home with parents, and that will help keep their parents safer! (This thing hunts for guys like us, much or so than the young bucks! lol....)

As for our economy, it will be hard at first, but there is still a decent core of it which is still humming along on all cylinders, and at the end of the day, especially after this madness clears, people will want to get the heck out of their homes and do something fun! If the government supports those attempts, then fairly quickly, people will start spending again -- at first, only those who are able. But the main tenet of the economy, and why the USA can skip along, throwing a few trillion in debt here, a few more trillion in debt there, and not seem to care, is that young people want to work. They want to get ahead, and they still want to have fun.

All of these things, I think, will just naturally propel us towards a recovery. And as more people succeed, the doom-and-gloom lot will be silenced, drowned out, and the bears clutching their dollars to their chests will remember the good ol' days, and slowly but surely, start throwing caution to the wind again. (lol)

I wonder if there are ANY countries in the world that are more indebted than the USA and Canada. (lol) And by that I mean both it's governments and it's citizens alike!
Fight the Good Fight
Lots of death in CHSLDs, I wouldn't want my grandparents to go live the end of their life there. The provincial government can't survive the next elections unscathed, some heads will have to fall.
(05-07-2020, 04:43 AM)Doigt Wrote: Lots of death in CHSLDs, I wouldn't want my grandparents to go live the end of their life there. The provincial government can't survive the next elections unscathed, some heads will have to fall.

I've been trying to figure out what that acronym stands for...

It is sad, yes, COVID-19 is hurrying a number of our older folks to the end of their lives.

Likely after this is all over, we'll see an official medical inquiry done, and then hopefully most of the recommendations will be followed.

Overall, things are starting to look better.

The #1 goal of "flattening the curve" is almost "mission accomplished" in all the areas that I have been keeping track of. If there are areas in the world that are not doing so well, we should start trying to get them whatever 'help' they need.

And then the world's next job -- to slowly bring things back on-line. Kids will go back to school, because they will beat COVID-19 easily in almost all cases.

The world will still need to be viligant, as we see what sort of effect specific policies have on the overall number of cases. We will be able to learn do's and don't based on local policies, and seeing how those policies change the number of new cases vs recovered cases.

We still need to be very careful, as according to Johns Hopkins, only 33% of the worlds cases are considered "resolved". But as long as government works closely with medical professionals, and continue to release new policies, we should start to move past this.
Fight the Good Fight
(05-07-2020, 08:42 AM)Squirrel Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 04:43 AM)Doigt Wrote: Lots of death in CHSLDs, I wouldn't want my grandparents to go live the end of their life there. The provincial government can't survive the next elections unscathed, some heads will have to fall.

The acronym stands for centre d’hébergement de soins de longue durée. You could translate it as residential and long-term care centre.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doigt's post:
  • Squirrel
(05-07-2020, 01:00 PM)Doigt Wrote:

The acronym stands for centre d’hébergement de soins de longue durée. You could translate it as residential and long-term care centre.

LOL... Why?! Why give it a complicated name... Call it a 'Retirement Home' like they used to!

They probably keep changing the name of it because they know seniors don't actually want to be sent there. :|
Fight the Good Fight
  • DoctorFinkle
(05-08-2020, 04:34 AM)Squirrel Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 01:00 PM)Doigt Wrote:

LOL... Why?!  Why give it a complicated name... Call it a 'Retirement Home' like they used to!

They probably keep changing the name of it because they know seniors don't actually want to be sent there. :|

Because it's not a retirement home, it's for anyone who cannot live independently, who needs long term care and constant health care services. While most of the people there are the elderly, it is not the case for everybody. And the name was never changed; we do have actual retirement homes which we call résidences pour personnes autonomes or litterally homes for autonomous persons. There are also two other types of homes for people with only small cognitive issues.