Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning new languages
Hi fellow agrarian!
Since about 3 years I started interesting myself in learning new languages (I meant "seriously" not what you are learning at school wich is basically "I love history and my pencil case"). At the beginning it was mostly to talk whit people on Internet about games or other random stuff, it was hella difficult, but with little practice everyday, weeks after weeks, months after months it became easier and I somehow ended up loving speaking an another language (which was English but now I do the same wtih German and Russian). I started reading books and some newspaper articles and during 2017 summer vacation I read a whole Stephen king books in english. Not gonna lie it was such a big achievement considering how bad was my english a year ago.
Besides the fact my english (/and my German even thought for the later one I'm still pretty bad) became better it also gave me a lot on the culture side, I'm convinced learning (a) new language(s) change your vision of society (I'm not saying you will understand how world works but it definitely helps you to).

Now it's your turn, have you ever tried to do that, are you agree/disagree wtih what I said?
Adolf n'est pas devenu Hitler parce qu'il s'appelait Adolf, il se serait appelé Pépito ça aurait été pareil, on aurait juste dit "Heil Pépito" !

Change my looks but not my heart !
            - Italiano boi
[-] The following 3 users Like 7shoes's post:
  • @Deletedacc21075026, Squirrel , ✨101✨
(11-17-2019, 04:27 PM)7shoes Wrote: Hi fellow agrarian!
Since about 3 years I started interesting myself in learning new languages (I meant "seriously" not what you are learning at school wich is basically "I love history and my pencil case"). At the beginning it was mostly to talk whit people on Internet about games or other random stuff, it was hella difficult, but with little practice everyday, weeks after weeks, months after months it became easier and I somehow ended up loving speaking an another language (which was English but now I do the same wtih German and Russian). I started reading books and some newspaper articles and during 2017 summer vacation I read a whole Stephen king books in english. Not gonna lie it was such a big achievement considering how bad was my english a year ago.
Besides the fact my english (/and my German even thought for the later one I'm still pretty bad) became better it also gave me a lot on the culture side, I'm convinced learning (a) new language(s) change your vision of society (I'm not saying you will understand how world works but it definitely helps you to).

Now it's your turn, have you ever tried to do that, are you agree/disagree wtih what I said?

I agree that learning a new language gives you both a different perspective, and offers you new insight into a different culture.

Unfortunately, I have always had a poor memory, and have shied away from learning other languages, as much as possible. Mandated to learn Frnech (since French is an official language of Canada), and due to my own origins (and name), a reason to learn German, I did both poorly.

But I will reach out to something different to illustrate my point.

The ancient Greeks had three different words that translated to "love": unconditional love; lova as friendship; and intimate love. And in reading the Bible there was a section where Jesus is talking to Peter, right before Peter betrays him... where Jesus asks Peter three times, if Peter loves Him. I remember it clearly because the passage seemed to make no sense.

But when you look at the original text, you see that Jesus was using the word for unconditional love, and Peter was saying back, "You know that I 'love' (the friendship versio) you!"

And suddenly that whole passage made a lot of sense!

I am a bit jealous of people who are able to readily learn other languages.

However, I am very happy that fortunately for me, the one language that I know well, is such an important language on this planet. It allows me to meet and get to know people from many other countries, rather than just my own!
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • 7shoes
(11-18-2019, 01:30 PM)samira Wrote: I have never tried to learn a whole new language on my own.

Basically one of my all time goals is to master the English language. Big Grin

And that is a full time job to me. I have no time to start learning another language.

English is essential for my job. It is by far the most important language.

And learning English is fun now! In school I didn’t like it. Everything was so synthetic.
But now I can use it in game contexts such as Agma and Agar or League of Legends and so on, and that’s making it way more fun!!! Heart

You've done excellent work in English!

The only way that someone can discern that you're not originally English-speaking, is that some of your word constructs just does not follow the normal 'flow' of grammar in English. Smile I'm hard-pressed to think of an example, right now, but I know you won't take it the wrong way, if I point out a few in the future.

(What you say, still ends up being okay... but an English-as-a-first-language person would be unlikely to say it in that manner, as an alternate explanation.)

I count you as a great friend, and it would be an honour if I improved your mastery of English a bit. Smile
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • @Deletedacc21075026