Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bookmark threads
(01-29-2019, 10:49 AM)samira Wrote:
Quote:All I get from that is the word at the end, 'captain'
Good! Correct.
Donau = Name of a river
Dampfschiff = Ships powered by steam ("steamboat")
Dampfschifffahrt = Using ("fahrt" = "driving) a steamboat
Gesellschaft = Association (in a business context, I assume)

~stares at this obfuscation blankly, tries to put the words together~

"The Donau SteamBoat Driver's Association???"

Quote:Yeah, I'm not surprised that I made basic grammatical mistakes. I barekly know enough words to reveal the grammatical problems, though! lol
The blessing of not knowing! Tongue I know a lot of English words so I have plenty of possibilities to cause grammatical confusion. Angel Seriously, it annoys me a lot that I am often not able to decide if the grammar of a sentence that I created is correct or not. I often have "vague feelings" about grammar mistakes. A quiet voice in my head saying that somethings is suspicious... And that's it, no concrete pointing to a mistake.

Yup, I have the same thing with English! And if that happens, my mind rips up the sentence and puts it together a different way until it... 'sounds right'. (lol)

I think this again is the smallest hint that our brains are so much more powerful and capable than we even realize!

Oh!  And you did make a small one in that last sentence... Just "something". ~winks~

I hope I removed a small voice from your head??

Quote:lol...I don't think it's that bad? All I know, is that at family functions, I always requested the white when I had options... and poured less when all there was, was red.
Interesting.  In Germany, if you want others to see you as a cultivated person, you have to impress them with your knowledge about wine. Rolleyes At least that's what I experienced. Maybe a filter bubble thing.

I have no desire to appear 'cultivated'. If it were not a business function (in which case I would grumble to myself and stay silent), I would let out a loud belch or some such, and then grin madly Big Grin

Quote:Iced tea! The kind with tons of sugar in it, and lemon flavour! Yeahhh, now you're talkin'!
What is your occupation, lawyer I guess? Being so insidious Wink BUT I actually like iced tea! Tongue

:O What an insult... to be mistaken for a lawyer! (lol)  I used to be a perfectionist, but kicked that problem to the curb (mostly). No, you and I are likely in the same field... Information Technology! I work for an Internet Provider as sort of a "Jack of all most trades".

And a nice word used... 'insidious' is one of my favourites!
Quote:But hey, that's why they invented restaurants, right? So others could cook for you??
Exactly!! Big Grin

Quote:I think eating is a chore.
Really? I enjoy tasty food. I am just too lazy too cook.
[/quote]

Oh, I agree. But because all I do is put stuff in the microwave or toaster oven... the food I eat isn't really very tasty... and hence, it becomes a chore.

The only reason to get more money (from my perspective), is so you can go to restaurants more often!

Quote:unless I'm at a eatery that I lik
"Eatery" is such an absurd word. "Have you been to school today?" "No, I have been to a learnery" Big Grin Big Grin Every language has its special properties.
[/quote]

True, but we are taught to not use the same word twice in close proximity, if you can help it, and 'eatery' was the first quasi-synonym that popped out of my mind. And I was too lazy to look for a better one. :|

Quote:Oh, so youuuu're the little girl in that picture!
I am not, but I admire her for her great workaccident. She is my super hero! No. Super villain. Super hero is supergirl, of course. Blush

Ahh, so you aspire to be that little girl!!

~waves you over to his couch, and sits down in an armchair~

That makes me more intrigued in your past, and what gave you that desire. Probably nothing good.....

(We all have things like that, though, don't we??)

Care to succumb to my 'armchair psychology' sometime? (lol)

Oh. I must delete a smiley again. (LOL!) Be ready for it, if you reply and include a lot of this! ~teeeassssse!~
Fight the Good Fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PigupJKlOk
Make it worth the price we pay!
(Lyrics: http://www.metrolyrics.com/fight-the-goo...iumph.html)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • samira
Quote:"The Donau SteamBoat Driver's Association???"
Almost! "Donau Steamboat Driving Association Captain". Smile
(Oh, seems like Donau can be translated to Danube but I guess that doesn't really matter.)

Quote:Yup, I have the same thing with English! And if that happens, my mind rips up the sentence and puts it together a different way until it... 'sounds right'. (lol)
Smart!

Quote:Oh!  And you did make a small one in that last sentence... Just "something". ~winks~
Oh... whoopsy. Angel The "s", right?

If you find more grammar mistakes please let me know! I want to improve. Shy

Quote:I hope I removed a small voice from your head??
Yes, but it will come back.

Quote:I would let out a loud belch or some such, and then grin madly
Hm, but that actually is a bad manner. Blush

Quote:No, you and I are likely in the same field... Information Technology! I work for an Internet Provider as sort of a "Jack of all most trades".
Oh, cool!! Big Grin This should not suprise me. There has to be a correlation between your job, your participation in these forums and the fact you play Agar/Agma despite you are not a "young hopper".

Quote:True, but we are taught to not use the same word twice in close proximity, if you can help it, and 'eatery' was the first quasi-synonym that popped out of my mind. And I was too lazy to look for a better one. :|
I did not meant to criticize you! Since this time you did not made this word up, it's not your "fault" that the English language is such a funny speakery. Big Grin

Quote:Ahh, so you aspire to be that little girl!!
Shhhhh, we do not talk about my evil plans in public, okay?! Cool They must be kept secret until I am ready to conquer universe. Or burn it down.

Quote:That makes me more intrigued in your past, and what gave you that desire. Probably nothing good.....
What do you expect from a person playing a destructive game like Agar, where it's all about eating others?  Wink
Maybe I have to compensate something. Being a good person all the time *cough* is so exhausting.

Quote:Oh. I must delete a smiley again. (LOL!)
Because you quoted mine Tongue Tongue
Fallen asleep, forever
[-] The following 1 user Likes samira's post:
  • Squirrel
(01-31-2019, 09:35 AM)samira Wrote:
Quote:"The Donau SteamBoat Driver's Association???"
Almost! "Donau Steamboat Driving Association Captain". Smile
(Oh, seems like Donau can be translated to Danube but I guess that doesn't really matter.)
I guess I can tease the compound words all I want, but it seems that they work. I'll bet those same dang words are responsible for when the Germans go into blur-mode while speaking... You're listening along just barrrrely keeping a handle on what the guy is talking about... then blurrr-mode hits, it goes to 35 words per second, and then you're truly lost again.

Quote:Oh!  And you did make a small one in that last sentence... Just "something". ~winks~
Oh... whoopsy. Angel The "s", right?

If you find more grammar mistakes please let me know! I want to improve. Shy

Quite so! But I'd already say that you're as good as I am at the grammar. And you would explain the grammatical error, while I would just be floundering and say "(blah blah blah) just sounds wrong!"

Quote:I hope I removed a small voice from your head??
Yes, but it will come back.
Perhaps it is the start of your 'second personality'! ~snickers~

Quote:I would let out a loud belch or some such, and then grin madly
Hm, but that actually is a bad manner. Blush
So what? I'd rather be seen as 'ill-mannered' than 'cultivated'. To me, anything is better than apparently putting an ego on display.

Quote:No, you and I are likely in the same field... Information Technology! I work for an Internet Provider as sort of a "Jack of all most trades".
Oh, cool!! Big Grin This should not suprise me. There has to be a correlation between your job, your participation in these forums and the fact you play Agar/Agma despite you are not a "young hopper".

Once upon a time (back in 2016), I was playing agar while at work. I played a fair bit. I chose the game on purpose, because if at any time, a major alarm went off, or a customer call came in, I could drop the game without caring a bit, and do my job.

But, word got back to my bosses who told me I'm not allowed to play. They even went to the lengths of blocking me from going to that web site, and tracking if I tried. Someone asked why I didn't just go around it, to which of course, the answer is, "I like my job! If they don't want me to play games, but are happy with me talking to strangers instead, that's okay". It's just... I think playing the game kept me more alert and ready to do my job.

But oh well. It's their company, and they get to dictate.

Oh yes, I remember now. (I was about to ask you what you did. But you answered that somewhere already -- web designer!) Does that include generating code for via the Pathological Ecclectic Rubbish Lister?? Or are you a turncoat, and prefer the reptillian equivalent? And perhaps you use that children's project, PHP as well!

Quote:True, but we are taught to not use the same word twice in close proximity, if you can help it, and 'eatery' was the first quasi-synonym that popped out of my mind. And I was too lazy to look for a better one. :|
I did not meant to criticize you! Since this time you did not made this word up, it's not your "fault" that the English language is such a funny speakery. Big Grin

I didn't take it as an insult... The crazy space-nut squirrel, that would be closer to the punch!

I suggest that it's not really reasonable for the language to expect people to have a second and thrid alternate to any word 'at the ready' to call into play, and have it satisfy another tired writing rule.
[/quote]

Quote:Ahh, so you aspire to be that little girl!!
Shhhhh, we do not talk about my evil plans in public, okay?! Cool They must be kept secret until I am ready to conquer universe. Or burn it down.

LOL... If you want to 'burn it down', I guess that means you have not started your own little family so far! Hopefully, that will fix you up!

And who would want to conquer everything?? This planet is no great shakes! I imagine that if life did sprout up on other planets, they are more than likely behind us in 'evolution'.

Quote:That makes me more intrigued in your past, and what gave you that desire. Probably nothing good.....
What do you expect from a person playing a destructive game like Agar, where it's all about eating others?  Wink
Maybe I have to compensate something. Being a good person all the time *cough* is so exhausting.

So how about not exhausting yourself anymore, and introducing me to the core of your being, bothe the good and the bad?

I think it would orove to be very interesting!

I have a theory that perhaps you have lived the life of a refugee, looking for a better place to be, and have thus far managed to make it to Germany??

'Samira' doesn't soundlike a European name to me, it sounds like something that was derived from something else, perhaps in the Middle-East?

Don't kill me if I'm wrong! I just like to understand various different people's troubles. It helps remind me of how easy a life I've had, compared to some others!

Quote:Oh. I must delete a smiley again. (LOL!)
Because you quoted mine Tongue Tongue

Yours were used in a cuter way. Plus, I would just cheat, and make a reaction instead!
~winks and smirks simultaneously, showing her that emoji's are akin to the junior leagues!~
Fight the Good Fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PigupJKlOk
Make it worth the price we pay!
(Lyrics: http://www.metrolyrics.com/fight-the-goo...iumph.html)