Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Present your country
Hello agmers !

All is in the title, the way of this thread is to present your country in a fun way. (means that you should mostly talk about fun facts and other things that whose can be hard to find or know if you do not come from the country. Like Culture, usage etc.)
(You can do that in comment or create a thread as you wish)

Well, I actually think it can be a very fun thread, for my part I love to discover new things about countriesSmile hope you will be as happy as I am to do this little "all around the world".

Ok let's go, for me it will be France :

France is a country located in West-Europe, near Italy, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Swiss, Luxembourg, Andorra, Monaco. And on the other side of the english french channel you can find England, as know as steackland.

You can also find France in... too bored to explain, here a nice map of the world whit french territories I hope you like how it's beautiful :
[Image: 1546446778-drom-com-carte.jpg]

Concretely
Now gonna talk a bit about French people...

First gonna destroy (and approve) some "clichés"

Béret
[Image: 1546447064-beret.jpg]
NOBODY WEARS THAT  (only maybe some elderly)

Are french people arrogant ?
Honestly comparate to some of our neighbors like German, yes. 
But in fact it's most because French really like to talk about their country (France) so when a stranger hear a French he just think "Wow, he is litteraly denigrate me" or something like this.

French eat frogs' legs and snails.
For the first one it's false, I never saw someone ate a frog's leg. For the second....... Uuuuuh, yes x)

French love cheese
yep

French hate English
YES AND YES AND YES

Culture & Usage
Here 3 little tips if a day you go in France :
1) Do not laugh, speak loud in the bus, tram, metro... Nobody smile and it's normal (for us ofc).

2) If you ave a meeting whit a French and he is late. So, or he is sick (if it's the case, uh, back home ?), or you will have to wait a bit, There is kind of a "rule" in France called "Rule of the fifteen minutes". Fifteen minutes of delays in France is "allowed". 

3) If you are in holidays in France, and you are in a hostel (example) say 1 or 2 words to the guys who host you, they really appreciate that.

Beside French culture and other things we like (French-Pop, Food, Football & handball, Bande Dessinées...) we're FOND OF (litteraly) in Japan and Korean culture. (especially japan culture)

Language
Where hell comes
So, french language. I do no really see ho I can explain you how it works. First because french is hard and second cause' i'm not even sure i understood everything x)

But I will try.

Basically in French there are 3 genres whose are "Masculin" (masculine) ; "Féminin" (feminine); "Pluriel" (plural)
26 letter. (A, B, C...) we also have for the "e" the "é" and the "è". (Pronounced differently) and for the "c" the "ç".

Verbs, Grammar :
Just, lol.
It does not make any sens. Too many rules, nobody understand really. You need to learn french grammar until the end of your life if you want to be sure to do not make any faults in a text.

It's hard to give an example cause' rules are mostly applied in sentences whose are impossible to translate (in fact you can but it will not show you how the rule works).

RELATIONSHEEP

What french people think of other countries :
Bad :
Swiss : Self-centred bastard

English : Think that everyone need to learn their own language, disguting food, ridiculous accent

Hungary : Violent country, homophobe, balkans

Belgium : best ennemies, worst friends

Italy : thieves

Ukraine : Somewhere on the russian continent

China : stupid country whit stupid people

Albania & Kosovo : When i asked to someone "Do you know kosovo and Albania" and he answered me "Does this country really exist ?" Well in french we do not really like Balkans and Est-Europe country x)

Good
Germany : we were ennemies but now best friends

Japan : we buy them mangas and they love france and our food

Quebec : keep fighting against english invader

USA : Until Trump came we were kind of "political friends"

Neutral
Spain/Portugal : 50/50

Russia : Putin is love but a bit violent

Scandinavian countries : We ignore them, they ignore us

FUN FACTS
1) France is the country whose has the most time zone (14) (11 for Russia)

2) The "Académie Française" has been create in the goal to preserve the French language

3) A french wine called "Romanée-Conti" cost 14 000Euros (for 1 bottle ofc)

4) England spoke French during 300 years.

5) France is the second largest consumer of Mangas (after japan)

So, I think it's all, hope you liked this thread and do the same now !
Adolf n'est pas devenu Hitler parce qu'il s'appelait Adolf, il se serait appelé Pépito ça aurait été pareil, on aurait juste dit "Heil Pépito" !

Change my looks but not my heart !
            - Italiano boi
[-] The following 5 users Like 7shoes's post:
  • FilipCro125, Sora, Squirrel , Supergirl , YaGirlBantrr
whenever I heard word "French" I thought of dis
[Image: sifmpfgly0611.jpg] xD

Croatia (Hrvatska)
[Image: croatia-destinations.jpg]

Well now, Croatia is located in balkans and its made of 3 parts which do not have english name so Im gonna use Croatia (there are also subcategorys), that are:
Nizinska Hrvatska  - This is the most populated and the biggest part with plenty of rivers and meadows. The capital is located here (and Im also (but not in capital)) and thers also a lot of villages. And for some reason during summer there's a lot of French people lol
[Image: nizinska%20hrvatska.jpg] [Image: slavonija3.jpg]
Primorska Hrvatska
Dis are all parts that are connected with sea. It comes second at population with second biggest city in Croatia which is called Split xD there are also some other really important cities and that are Pula, Rijeka (btw Rijeka literally means "river" in our language), Zadar, Sinj and Dubrovnik (dis is where Game of Throne was filmed). It has beautiful sea, a lot of islands and a lot of Germans during summer lol. And they eat snails there
[Image: hrvatsko%20primorje.jpg]  [Image: Banje-Beach-Dubrovnik.jpg]
Gorska Hrvatska
Dis is the least populated and least industrial  part with a lot of mountains and cold climat. And also a lot of villages lol
[Image: Gorska-Hrvatska.jpg?resize=499%2C489] [Image: HOL_0727.jpg]

Language
Its hard xD. You can look at my introduction thread for more information. And funny fact is that here in Former Yugoslavian part can understand each other cuz we basically almost have the same language but just some words are different, you could say its something like   American English and Englihs from England lol
Releationship

Serbia (Srbija)- Uh oh, well, we are not such a good friends xD. In WW2 we killed about 1 million Serbs and then In Yugoslavian war they also killed some of our guys (mostly civilians, women, children or soldiers but well, we also did that to them lol), we also have some border things around river Danube. But we were cooperating when dat some guy came and created his own country called Liberland
Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH)- Well we are good with Croatian and Bosnian president ( BiH has 3 presidents btw lol) while with Serbian one we are pretty much on same relationship as with Serbia lol
Hungary (Mađarska)- Well, we are not such a friends and we are not such a enemies, we had some historical things (bad things lol) but they also did some great things.
Slovenia (Slovenija)- Well we were pretty good friends but lately some bad things began to happen (mostly cuz of sea)
Montenegro (Crna Gora (here "Gora means something like forest hill" so here Crna Gora literally means "Black Forest Hill" lol)- Not so bad, and not so good, you could say that we are neutral lol
Germany(Njemačka)- Well, we are pretty good friends. We go there to work and they come here on vacation
Albania (Albanija) - Well, they hate Serbia so we call each other "Brothers" xD
Kosovo - oh well, pls dont get triggered, we think of Kosovo as republic lol
Other slavic countries- Pretty good relationships
Iran- Ik that dis will maybe sound weird  but here some people believe that Croats came from parts of Persia so we are pretty good with em. Thats btw the second most popular theory about where Croats came from
Canada- It became awesome when that former Croatian prime minister Tihomir Orešković came from Canada (he is the most popular prime minister),he said some good things like "Me love Croatia" or "We are here to serve Croatian buildings"  xDDDD. Instead of "Građani" which means citizen he said "Građevine" which means buildings xD, basically, his Croatian was terrible lol
Other countries in world- Pretty good lol

Fun facts
Time to go on ma introduction thread lol

1. The oldest inhabited city in Europe is the eastern Croatian city of Vinkovci. The city has been inhabited for the past 8,000 years

2. Split’s Diocletian Palace has a genuine Egyptian sphinx thanks to Emperor Diocletian who had it brought in from Egypt to adorn the entrance to his tomb

3. The dog breed Dalmatian can be traced back to Croatia and the Dalmatia region ( I had one lol)

4.  Croatia has the highest number of UNESCO Intangible Goods of any European country together with Spain

5. Rice chocolate was invented in Croatia in 1963 at the Zvečevo factory in the western Slavonian city of Požega

6. Zadar has the world’s first pipe organ played by the sea and is also known for its sunset which Alfred Hitchcock said was the most beautiful in the world

7. Nikola Tesla was born in Smiljan, Croatia (and now I wont say that hes Croatian cuz in Croatia they learn us that he was Croat while in Serbia they learn people that he was Serb, so I dont wanna start some war here lol)

8. Dubrovnik was known as the “Adriatic Pearl” in the early 19th century (thanks to the English poet Lord Byron) and not only as “Game of Thrones” King’s Landing and Star Wars filming location

9. Croatians had their own alphabet. The Glagolitic alphabet was preserved only by Croats who used it from the 12th to the 20th century, mostly in liturgy

10. The Roman amphitheater in Pula is the 6th largest amphitheatre in the world and the only one with all 3 rows preserved

11. In the Croatian waters lives the last specimen of the Mediterranean seal

12. Hum in Istria with a population of around 15 is the world’s smallest town

13. 10% of Croatia is protected via 11 Nature Parks, 8 National Parks, and 2 Nature Reserves

14. A sculptor from the island of Rab, Marin, founded San Marino.

15. The island of Hvar off the Dalmatian coast is the island with the most hours of sunshine in Europe – more than 2,800 hours a year

16. There are nearly more Croatians living outside of the country as living in Croatia (4.2 million)

17. Croatia is ranked 4th in the world for alcohol consumption per capita

18. 53. Croatian men are the 7th tallest on the planet

19.  The biggest ever necktie in the world, measuring 808 metres, was displayed in Croatia. It took five days to complete and was tied around the Pula Arena in 2003
20. Famous Zlatni rat beach changes shape when winds are strong enough

Flag
[Image: 255px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png]

The flag combines the colours of the flags of the Kingdom of Croatia (red and white), the Kingdom of Slavonia (blue and white) and partially of the Kingdom of Dalmatia (blue and yellow). Those three kingdoms are the historic constituent states of the Croatian Kingdom. In middle there is shield with so called "Šahovnica" (there is a legend about dat).
And on a top are five crowning shields which represent the regions of Croatia.
First- Considered the oldest known symbol representing Croatia
Second- Dubrovnik Region
Third- Dalmatia
Fourth- Istria
Fifth- Slavonia

And also, thers a lot of neo-nazis here lol

u can also find a lot of more on ma introduction thread lol
(Signature had to be removed due to the possibility of causing seizures)

[Image: ff67246f342a8808171d075243546464.gif]

huh I calmed em down for a bit xD  (for now)

[-] The following 4 users Like FilipCro125's post:
  • 7shoes, Squirrel , Supergirl , YaGirlBantrr
(01-02-2019, 05:51 PM)7shoes Wrote: Hello agmers !

All is in the title, the way of this thread is to present your country in a fun way. (means that you should mostly talk about fun facts and other things that whose can be hard to find or know if you do not come from the country. Like Culture, usage etc.)
(You can do that in comment or create a thread as you wish)

Well, I actually think it can be a very fun thread, for my part I love to discover new things about countriesSmile hope you will be as happy as I am to do this little "all around the world".

Ok let's go, for me it will be France :

France is a country located in West-Europe, near Italy, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Swiss, Luxembourg, Andorra, Monaco. And on the other side of the english french channel you can find England, as know as steackland.

~some fun stuff snipped~

Are french people arrogant ?
Honestly comparate to some of our neighbors like German, yes. 
But in fact it's most because French really like to talk about their country (France) so when a stranger hear a French he just think "Wow, he is litteraly denigrate me" or something like this.

French eat frogs' legs and snails.
For the first one it's false, I never saw someone ate a frog's leg. For the second....... Uuuuuh, yes x)

French love cheese
yep

French hate English
YES AND YES AND YES

I would love to present Canada, except I've been thinking of it, and I don't really know what to say:

[Image: 255px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png]

For odd food, there's 'poutine' (french fries, with cheese curds and gravy) and putting pineapple on pizza.

It's one of the worlds largest countries, and yet has only about 36 million people. So you know we have the space for ya!

And, strangely enough, you can't go to a "space store", and buy some of it. Those danged real estate people do all that, and housing developers get to turn their get-rich-quick schemes loose on the gov't by getting them to part with some land.

We have a fine range of scenery, from the mountains of the west coast (British Columbia), to the wheat fields of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. We have Newfoundland, and New Brunswick, where fishing and catching lobsters is 'king'. You can even but lobster burgers at their local Rottin' Ronnies (McDonalds).

We have the 'Great Lakes' -- the five largest interconnected 'fresh water' lakes in the world, and one of the most romantic tourist tra... err, sites, 'Niagara Falls' where even if you fly over the falls at 30000 feet, it still takes your breath away.

We have Quebec, almost a country within a country, since Canada was settled originally by both the French and the British. We were considered a 'British territory', but the French have special protections and provisions in Quebec to preserve French language and culture (or their version of it, lol), and it's okay to drive like a maniac. (lol) Both French and English are 'official languages' in Canada, and anything you need from the government is available in either, no matter where you are in Canada.

We also have our own indigenous peoples (formerly called 'indians') and their very different languages, customs and cultures. No matter where you are in Canada, you can usually visit such a place, and see how they preferred to, and largely still do, live.

And it's true, we will let anyone become a Canadian. All you have to do is apply to come to Canada, and bring all your money with you! Canada's population has been made very diverse by it's immigration policies, although primarily, that exists in the larger cities.

There's only one thing you need to do, to become Canadian, which is to say 'sorry' a lot. (It doesn't matter if you've done nothing wrong, you need to say it anyhow!)

Oh, and, sorry, if any other fellow Canuck here can think of things I left out, I hope that you'll contribute??

One final thing.

Canadians are attracted to Americans!
It's true!
  • I've dated two Americans, and almost married one myself
  • There is also physical evidence -- over 90% of Canada's population lives within 100 miles of the American border
  • We might joke about them, but without America, the Canadian economy would be very troubled.
  • A Canadian, an Aussie, and an American walk into a bar. The Aussie orders them a round of drinks. When they come, the Aussie takes his in a gulp, then throws his glass onto the ground and smashes it. The others ask, "Why did you do that?" and he answers, "In Australia, we have so much glass, we never have to drink from the same one twice." Then the American orders them a round. When the drinks come, he pounds it back, throws his glass into the air, whips out a gun, and shoots the glass so it is splintered. The others are shocked, and ask, "Why did you do that?" The American responds saying, "In America, we have so many bullets, we never have to drink from the same glass twice." Then the Canadian buys them a round. The server brings them, the Canadian downs his, picks up the American's gun, and shoots him with it! The Aussie is appalled and asks, "Why the hell did you do THAT?!" The Canadian answers, "In Canada, we have so many Americans, we never have to drink with the same one twice."
  • Canadians like to think of silly things so they can pretend they are 'better' than Americans. Like having Canada Day 4 days before the American holiday, and holding 'Thanksgivings' a month later.
  • Ask any Canadian how tall they are, and they'll answer in feet and inches, as Americans would. Even though by law, Canadians use Metric measurements now, and have for about 45 years. The only people who answer you in Metric (ie: metres), are those who are legislated to -- your doctors, and hospitals.
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 4 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • 7shoes, FilipCro125, kl_batgirl, Supergirl
Luv the bar joke. made me lol
[-] The following 2 users Like kl_batgirl's post:
  • Squirrel , Supergirl
(01-03-2019, 06:23 PM)kl_batgirl Wrote: Luv the bar joke. made me lol

I'm amazed that you made it to the end of that post! I wish my French was good enough to post it in French too, and ask Eqa to tell us about Quebec... but his english is limited, and my French (after at least 5 years of it in school), is non-existant!

I see this is your first post, so welcome to the Forums!

I hope that you'll also take a moment to introduce yourself, by posting an 'Introductions' thread? If you have any trouble, I hope you'll ask me? (It may be a coincidence, but I recently talked to a Batgirl on Discord. Might that have been you?)

And, we only have two countries so far...

Surely after my post, someone is going to take the United States of America to bat???? (This is a baseball metaphor, not a user metaphor. lol)
Fight the Good Fight
(01-03-2019, 10:11 AM)Squirrel Wrote:
  • There is also physical evidence -- over 90% of Canada's population lives within 100 miles of the American border
  • A Canadian, an Aussie, and an American walk into a bar. The Aussie orders them a round of drinks. When they come, the Aussie takes his in a gulp, then throws his glass onto the ground and smashes it. The others ask, "Why did you do that?" and he answers, "In Australia, we have so much glass, we never have to drink from the same one twice." Then the American orders them a round. When the drinks come, he pounds it back, throws his glass into the air, whips out a gun, and shoots the glass so it is splintered. The others are shocked, and ask, "Why did you do that?" The American responds saying, "In America, we have so many bullets, we never have to drink from the same glass twice." Then the Canadian buys them a round. The server brings them, the Canadian downs his, picks up the American's gun, and shoots him with it! The Aussie is appalled and asks, "Why the hell did you do THAT?!" The Canadian answers, "In Canada, we have so many Americans, we never have to drink with the same one twice."

My 2 favorite parts ...

1st I think is also a thing about topografic (north/south), since I prefer to have it warm, I would also prefer not to live close to Alaska  Exclamation

2nd, exactly my humor, so much truth involved, but packed as a funny story  Exclamation

Big Grin

Angel

Tongue
[Image: 0RSYTXe.jpg]

Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else Exclamation
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supergirl 's post:
  • Squirrel
(01-04-2019, 06:55 AM)Supergirl Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 10:11 AM)Squirrel Wrote:

My 2 favorite parts ...

1st I think is also a thing about topografic (north/south), since I prefer to have it warm, I would also prefer not to live close to Alaska  Exclamation

2nd, exactly my humor, so much truth involved, but packed as a funny story  Exclamation

Big Grin

Angel

Tongue

:O!  A real post!!!

I am so pleased... Smile

First, if you were able to understand that whole rambling thing, then your English has come quite a ways, am I right?? I'd like to encourage you to try actually writing in it now!  I have waited two years to have good conversation with you! (lol!)

(I think I'm right, because you must have noticed more than one attempt at humour in there!)

And maybe you'd like to 'present a country'??

It doesn't have to be a short story like mine! Wink

That would literally make my week. Smile Maybe my month!

And you already let it slip there's a big brain in there!  There are no foolish people who go to chess tourneys!  ~teeeasssse!~

Oh, and you're right, of course... there's two other perfectly good reasons for finding all the people near the US border.  The ground there is more arable and suited to farming, and... it is warmer. Especially on the north shore of one of southern Great Lakes, as I am!  We had snow for the first time, this winter yesterday. It was less than 2cm I think that fell. Meanwhile, Buffalo which is south of me, in the USA, seems to get POUNDED with snow regularly! (But maybe they're having a good year too! It's just that, it seems to me that every year is like this current one, for us!)

Oh, check this out:
The average annual snowfall in Buffalo is 93.4 inches (That's 2.37 metres!! More than twice as tall as me, even though I'm tall!)

Compatred to where I am:
Average winter snowfall is 121.5 cm (47.8 in) at the weather station in Downtown Toronto and 108.5 cm (42.72 in) at Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Somehow, I think that's on the high side of reality. I mean, I do not even own a pair of boots. (Size 15 shoes are hard enough to find.)
Fight the Good Fight
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • Supergirl
Austria

... is a pretty small country, and about snow ...

- we have a viilage, which claims to have the most snowfall of the world (no joke)

... BUT where I live, is a beautiful lake and we have only a few times snow in the winter !

How that can be ... our Country is not about North / South (its only 294 km / 182 miles), it is more about deep / high, because we have so much mountains (not as much and as high as Nepal)  Exclamation

But enough that Austria has won most of all skiing nations about sport  Exclamation 

Big Grin

Yes I thought a short time about writing about Austria ... but hey we live in 2019 ...

Austria - wikipedia

Tongue

Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else Exclamation
[-] The following 2 users Like Supergirl 's post:
  • @Deletedacc21075026, Squirrel
(01-04-2019, 05:25 AM)Squirrel Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 06:23 PM)kl_batgirl Wrote: Luv the bar joke. made me lol

I'm amazed that you made it to the end of that post! I wish my French was good enough to post it in French too, and ask Eqa to tell us about Quebec... but his english is limited, and my French (after at least 5 years of it in school), is non-existant!

I see this is your first post, so welcome to the Forums!

I hope that you'll also take a moment to introduce yourself, by posting an 'Introductions' thread? If you have any trouble, I hope you'll ask me? (It may be a coincidence, but I recently talked to a Batgirl on Discord. Might that have been you?)

And, we only have two countries so far...

Surely after my post, someone is going to take the United States of America to bat???? (This is a baseball metaphor, not a user metaphor. lol)
Yes that was me on discord. I plan to add an intro but i keep forgetting. I may add somethgin to present your country but i have to think about it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes kl_batgirl's post:
  • Squirrel
(01-04-2019, 07:57 AM)Supergirl Wrote: Austria

- we have a viilage, which claims to have the most snowfall of the world (no joke)

... BUT where I live, is a beautiful lake and we have only a few times snow in the winter !

How that can be ... our Country is not about North / South (its only 294 km / 182 miles), it is more about deep / high, because we have so much mountains (not as much and as high as Nepal)  Exclamation

But enough that Austria has won most of all skiing nations about sport  Exclamation 

Big Grin

Yes I thought a short time about writing about Austria ... but hey we live in 2019 ...

Austria - wikipedia

Tongue

You want us to go to Wikipedia?!

C'mon! We may find information there, but you might as well deliver it in a monologue! ~drones on at the same pitch to demonstrate~

I thought we'd agreed that we could use a bit of humour? ~grins~

Isn't Austria also a great place to get chocolate? Or is that strictly Belgium and Switzerland?

That was a great post!  And yes, it's something you wouldn't normally think -- that a place could be both warm enough to have only a tiny bit of snow, but also have places that get loads of it! But, I think most of us have seen the odd mountain, in our own country, in the middle of summer, or spring/fall at least, and there up at the top of a tall mountain you still see snow!
Fight the Good Fight
Austria ...

Big Grin

[-] The following 2 users Like Supergirl 's post:
  • FilipCro125, Squirrel
(02-01-2019, 02:50 AM)Supergirl Wrote: Austria ...

Big Grin

That was quite the laugh!

Thanks!
Fight the Good Fight
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • Supergirl
(01-04-2019, 07:57 AM)Supergirl Wrote: Austria

Big Grin

Austria - wikipedia

Tongue

wew, thats where almost half of all ma relatives are living lol, I was there and its pretty cold xD. I was in some city and I forgot how its called lol, I think it was something like Lanz or Linz or Lonz, idk lol

(02-01-2019, 04:02 PM)FilipCro125 Wrote: wew, thats where almost half of all ma relatives are living lol, I was there and its pretty cold xD. I was in some city and I forgot how its called lol, I think it was something like Lanz or Linz or Lonz, idk lol

Its "Linz" ...

[-] The following 1 user Likes Supergirl 's post:
  • Squirrel
(02-01-2019, 04:07 PM)Supergirl Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 04:02 PM)FilipCro125 Wrote: wew, thats where almost half of all ma relatives are living lol, I was there and its pretty cold xD. I was in some city and I forgot how its called lol, I think it was something like Lanz or Linz or Lonz, idk lol

Its "Linz" ...

Oh yeaa, dat one xD