Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lest We Forget
I'm thinking today that we're about a week away from 'Remembrance Day', which here in Canada (I believe the USA also?>) we pause to reflect on Nov 11th, wearing a poppy where possible, to remind people around you as well.

(I haven't come across anyone selling poppies this year yet... Sad if you've had the same problem, call/contact your local Legion / War Vets group tp find out where, or maybe volunteer...)

Here in Canada, we are releasing a new $2 coin marking the remembrance of the 100th anniversary of the 'Battle of Vimy Ridge' in France, which was mostly fought by Canadians and took out a very important and highly fortified German section of the then WW I German front.

Vimy Ridge was widely considered "impenetrable" by Allies and Germany alike. It used intense and precision planning, plus innovative battlefield tactics to achieve success, and, along with a great many British soldiers of the British Third Army on the southern flank, was essential to beginning a great swath of Allied victories that culminated in what was known in 1918 as the "advance to victory" in WW I.

Of the 10600 Canadians who embarked on the Battle of Vimy Ridge, nearly 3600 of them came back in coffins.

Prepare yourselves, remember the international sacrifices that were made, in the name of freedom of all people, and in the time leading up to Nov 11th, I hope you'll contribute stories you find might be important.

In 1918, the World achieved a great victory over evil.

Lest We Forget....
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 6 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • EqAtOmBe , Good luck to all, Mikasa, run SPOT run , Sora, ♀✭๖ۣۣۜYỦҜÎ ĈĤẰŇ✭♀
[Image: chapea11.jpg]
                                                        [Image: Eqatombe1d010.gif]

thx at @run SPOT run  for this  Sig`s  
[-] The following 2 users Like EqAtOmBe 's post:
  • Squirrel , ♀✭๖ۣۣۜYỦҜÎ ĈĤẰŇ✭♀
@Squirrel

Special Skin for tribute 

[Image: lest_We_Forget.png]
                                                        [Image: Eqatombe1d010.gif]

thx at @run SPOT run  for this  Sig`s  
[-] The following 3 users Like EqAtOmBe 's post:
  • run SPOT run , Squirrel , ♀✭๖ۣۣۜYỦҜÎ ĈĤẰŇ✭♀
Yes. Us British have that day as well. We should organize 2 min silence in Agma

[Image: vyNXqdV.gif]

[Image: 8L9jzaX.gif]

Hey! Im breakfast. If you need me, just pop me a message. I may not be active for a while so just take that into thought!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Breakfast 's post:
  • run SPOT run , Squirrel , ♀✭๖ۣۣۜYỦҜÎ ĈĤẰŇ✭♀
(11-06-2017, 03:20 PM)Breakfast Wrote: Yes. Us British have that day as well. We should organize 2 min silence in Agma

HAH! As if... Teamers couldn't possibly sit there for 2 mins doin' nuttin'!

But I love Eqa's Remembrance Day skin. I think I'll be using that. Smile
Fight the Good Fight
[-] The following 4 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • Breakfast , EqAtOmBe , Sora, ♀✭๖ۣۣۜYỦҜÎ ĈĤẰŇ✭♀
An interesting little addendum to my previous story shows how countries recognize each other, and help.

On France's part, they gave a sizeable tract of land near the battlefield, and labelled it 'fpr Canadian use, everlasting' or something similar.

During the battle most of the oak trees on the ridge were completely destroyed.

One Canadian soldier took home a few acorns he found, and back here in Canada, planted them and started cultivating a forest of oak trees. He wanted to send saplings back to France to replenish the forest, but due to fears of possible contamination by 'invasive species' (as most countries do), France declined.

Not one to give up the Canadian spoke to French officials, who accepted the acorns of the oak trees here in Canada that were direct descendants from the Vimy Ridge trees.

I believe that the planting is now underway. Smile
Fight the Good Fight
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • ♀✭๖ۣۣۜYỦҜÎ ĈĤẰŇ✭♀
Don't let us Scots have silence, we'll take ya over! lolol

(please let us become a country)
[-] The following 2 users Like Apix 's post:
  • Squirrel , ♀✭๖ۣۣۜYỦҜÎ ĈĤẰŇ✭♀
This year, on November 11th, 2018, we celebrate the centennial of the original 'Armistice Day', now more commonly known as 'Remembrance Day'.

The Germans on this day admitted defeat in WW I, and signed a ceasefire agreement.

In Canada, the memory of this day is being made a bit more poignant by the release of another $2 coin, the 'Armistice Day' toonie, which I thought I would share with you.

[Image: x167480_rev-coloured-570.png.pagespeed.i...9PsgSp.png]

If you have the opportunity, I hope that you'll also join in, clamouring "We Remember" by wearing a poppy through to Nov 11th!
Fight the Good Fight
[-] The following 2 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • Doigt, Good luck to all
Certainly, this coin will eventually find its way into my collection. I happen to have a considerable collection of coins I would not miss this beautiful work of art.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doigt's post:
  • Squirrel
(10-27-2018, 05:22 AM)Doigt Wrote: Certainly, this coin will eventually find its way into my collection. I happen to have a considerable collection of coins I would not miss this beautiful work of art.

I already have a few "agents" looking for the coin for me. (lol)
Fight the Good Fight
  • Doigt
You can also buy a roll of them (I think they mix the engraved and coloured together -- not sure how many coloured you're guaranteed... maybe none, lol)... The mint is selling a $50 roll of coins for $80. I do NOT want to do that, and am hoping to be able to get some from a bank or my... ~coughs~ 'agents' instead.
Fight the Good Fight
  • Doigt
(10-28-2018, 05:18 AM)Squirrel Wrote: The mint is selling a $50 roll of coins for $80. I do NOT want to do that, and am hoping to be able to get some from a bank or my... ~coughs~ 'agents' instead.

As an experienced buyer from the royal mint, I can only approve your decision about not buying from the royal mint. Some days, I take a few moments to weep. So much lost on worthless coins while I should've focused on circulated ones...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doigt's post:
  • Squirrel
(10-28-2018, 05:53 AM)Doigt Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 05:18 AM)Squirrel Wrote: The mint is selling a $50 roll of coins for $80.  I do NOT want to do that, and am hoping to be able to get some from a bank or my... ~coughs~ 'agents' instead.

As an experienced buyer from the royal mint, I can only approve your decision about not buying from the royal mint. Some days, I take a few moments to weep. So much lost on worthless coins while I should've focused on circulated ones...

I get spammed by the Mint. But mostly, I think they are appealing to a very small minority of Canadians who are very welthy, and able to afford a gold coin shaped like a bar with whatever on it... I would never use it, and no-one would see it. I'm not about to leave a $1000 coin in a glass anything, in my living room!

But honouring Canada's wartime dead?

That, I am ALL FOR!
Fight the Good Fight
  • Doigt
i'm so confused, what's this thread about?
Appreciates rep points.
A lot.
(11-06-2018, 11:53 AM)JruGo Wrote: i'm so confused, what's this thread about?

This is a thread I made, so that we can remember the men and women who helped fight in the World Wars I and II.

I am in particular, overly proud of the way Canada has been ready to do some of the work in this area. We made huge contributions in both of these wars, and many of our citizens are buried in Europe. Sad

It is important to me, as someone who enjoys democracy, along with all it's rights and freedoms, that we honour the people who made that ultimate sacrifice.

From now 'til November 11th, if you have a poppy, I hope that you will wear it!
Fight the Good Fight