Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lest We Forget
I'm a bit sad to say it but in France we do not really celebrate 11th November, surely our president will say 1 or 2 sentences but not that much.
They will probably have a minute of silence or other but I do not think people will really have a think for what happened during the 2 World War.

I was in England 4 days ago and I saw many things about 11th November and Lest We Forget, as Tag, Pins and of course the Red Flower (I know that English wear it each years to celebrate the 11th)
Adolf n'est pas devenu Hitler parce qu'il s'appelait Adolf, il se serait appelé Pépito ça aurait été pareil, on aurait juste dit "Heil Pépito" !

Change my looks but not my heart !
            - Italiano boi
Im kinda surprised by this thread cuz I didnt even knew that that day exist lol (looks like we dont celebrate it here in Croatia lol)
(Signature had to be removed due to the possibility of causing seizures)

[Image: ff67246f342a8808171d075243546464.gif]

huh I calmed em down for a bit xD  (for now)

(11-06-2018, 03:56 PM)Squirrel Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 11:53 AM)JruGo Wrote: i'm so confused, what's this thread about?

This is a thread I made, so that we can remember the men and women who helped fight in the World Wars I and II.

I am in particular, overly proud of the way Canada has been ready to do some of the work in this area. We made huge contributions in both of these wars, and many of our citizens are buried in Europe. Sad

It is important to me, as someone who enjoys democracy, along with all it's rights and freedoms, that we honour the people who made that ultimate sacrifice.

From now 'til November 11th, if you have a poppy, I hope that you will wear it!
Oh wow that's really cool!
Appreciates rep points.
A lot.
(11-06-2018, 04:20 PM)7shoes Wrote: I'm a bit sad to say it but in France we do not really celebrate 11th November, surely our president will say 1 or 2 sentences but not that much.
They will probably have a minute of silence or other but I do not think people will really have a think for what happened during the 2 World War.

I was in England 4 days ago and I saw many things about 11th November and Lest We Forget, as Tag, Pins and of course the Red Flower (I know that English wear it each years to celebrate the 11th)

France was heavily damaged in both of these wars, perhaps for France it is too painful? Without help from many other countries, she would have fallen altogether, and really through no fault of her own.

France is also a very proud country -- they have had their own periods where people would say they were a dynasty. That is a hard thing to let go of.

(For example, look at the Turks! They are still talking about their Ottoman days, as if it were the only period in the earth's history that truly mattered! No offense to any Turks here. :| )
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • FilipCro125
There's a reason that the Ottoman Empire was called the Sick man of Europe. Turks shouldn't focus too much on that period of their history. There's also the Armenian genocide which they shouldn't be too proud of.
[-] The following 2 users Like Doigt's post:
  • FilipCro125, Squirrel
You guyz know so muchh  Smile
Appreciates rep points.
A lot.
(11-08-2018, 09:25 AM)JruGo Wrote: You guyz know so muchh  Smile

Well, every year politicians stand up and honour the dead... The news media picks up on it... It's discussed a bit in schools, and so on... So every year, you might pick up more stories.

The year of 1918 was huge to the end of WW I. The Germans were stretched too thin, and had last too many key fortified positions, such as Vimy Ridge that I found out about the year before. I hadn't know about that either... but the Canadian mint released a special $2 coin to commemorate it, and then I did some reading on it. It really was a turning point in WW I.
Fight the Good Fight
(11-09-2018, 03:04 AM)Squirrel Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 09:25 AM)JruGo Wrote: You guyz know so muchh  Smile

Well, every year politicians stand up and honour the dead... The news media picks up on it... It's discussed a bit in schools, and so on... So every year, you might pick up more stories.

The year of 1918 was huge to the end of WW I. The Germans were stretched too thin, and had last too many key fortified positions, such as Vimy Ridge that I found out about the year before. I hadn't know about that either... but the Canadian mint released a special $2 coin to commemorate it, and then I did some reading on it. It really was a turning point in WW I.

Whoa. *didnt know that eaither*
Whilst i agree that we DO indeed pick up new stories evey year about WW1, I tend to forget the ones from the years before lmao.
In short, i have extremely short-term memory.
Appreciates rep points.
A lot.
(11-09-2018, 09:03 AM)JruGo Wrote: Whoa. *didnt know that eaither*
Whilst i agree that we DO indeed pick up new stories evey year about WW1, I tend to forget the ones from the years before lmao.
In short, i have extremely short-term memory.

I dont think I remember much from Psych 101 (other than having a basket-case for a professor, lolll), but as I understand it, there's long-term memory, which is remembered over months & years... short term memory, which is more measured in minutes, and a medium-range memory that I don't remember the first thing about -- other than it exists. lol

But yeah, I have a cr@ppy long-term memory too. Sad
Fight the Good Fight
#LestWeForget
I saw this hastag on insta recently and remembered this thread
lmao, i'd though that you'd made that name up yourself . lol.
;0
Appreciates rep points.
A lot.
(11-13-2018, 10:05 AM)JruGo Wrote: #LestWeForget
I saw this hastag on insta recently and remembered this thread
lmao, i'd though that you'd made that name up yourself . lol.
;0

No, it's been used for years, both in Canada, Britain, and elsewhere. Smile

And I got my first Armistice Day coin! Big Grin
Fight the Good Fight
what's an armistice day coin?
Appreciates rep points.
A lot.
(11-14-2018, 07:53 AM)JruGo Wrote: what's an armistice day coin?

Look at the first page of this thread... It's towards the bottom.

Look for da big shiny round thing!

~teeeEeEeeeEeaasssseee!!~
Fight the Good Fight
(11-14-2018, 11:07 AM)Squirrel Wrote:
(11-14-2018, 07:53 AM)JruGo Wrote: what's an armistice day coin?

Look at the first page of this thread... It's towards the bottom.

Look for da big shiny round thing!

~teeeEeEeeeEeaasssseee!!~

ooo das so cool
btw i wore 2 diferent types of poppies on teh 11th and a poppy band
i was at a match
Chealse vs eevrton
and before the match started, i did a poppy appeal with a few aquaintaces, and by the end of that 2 hrs we were even give permission to watch the match!
though the footbal match was kinda boring tho  Dodgy
but it was an eventful day  Sleepy
Appreciates rep points.
A lot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JruGo's post:
  • Squirrel
Im intrigued (: Who won?
[Image: zero_two_eating.gif]