Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Opinion on "X is Better Than Y" err... "Debates"
In my opinion, the debate/fight/whatever which has opposed various fans of one thing against fans of other things has been done before and too many times. Whether it's Winrar vs 7zip, Star Wars vs Star Trek, Console vs PC, Firefox vs Chrome, Remake vs Original, etc, they're all the same debate and they're not constructive in any bit. All of those really boil down to personal preferences and circumstances; those cannot be the subject of a rational exchange of ideas. In that kind of topic, you will never convince your interlocutor, but you may try to persuade him, although perhaps in great vain as your opponent probably doesn't share your tastes nor your senses, but if he does, he doesn't share a great amount with you. Therefore, such a discussion always amount to pointless, although amusing, shows of fallacy-vomiting and more or less orthodox insults. I even recall that someone once said, to justify that Star Wars is better than Star Trek, "Star Trek is communist propaganda". Of course that example is circumstantial, but considering that there is an abysmally large quantity of similar occurrences in time and that those are in every space and place, we can form a strong induction that it's always or most always as such that the example given above is typical.

This is not in reaction to anything that may have happened on the forum, I am merely inviting people to discuss of this issue which plagues both the virtual and real life.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doigt's post:
  • Squirrel
(11-05-2017, 03:08 AM)Doigt Wrote: In my opinion, the debate/fight/whatever which has opposed various fans of one thing against fans of other things has been done before and too many times. Whether it's Winrar vs 7zip, Star Wars vs Star Trek, Console vs PC, Firefox vs Chrome, Remake vs Original, etc, they're all the same debate and they're not constructive in any bit. All of those really boil down to personal preferences and circumstances; those cannot be the subject of a rational exchange of ideas. In that kind of topic, you will never convince your interlocutor, but you may try to persuade him, although perhaps in great vain as your opponent probably doesn't share your tastes nor your senses, but if he does, he doesn't share a great amount with you. Therefore, such a discussion always amount to pointless, although amusing, shows of fallacy-vomiting and more or less orthodox insults. I even recall that someone once said, to justify that Star Wars is better than Star Trek, "Star Trek is communist propaganda". Of course that example is circumstantial, but considering that there is an abysmally large quantity of similar occurrences in time and that those are in every space and place, we can form a strong induction that it's always or most always as such that the example given above is typical.

This is not in reaction to anything that may have happened on the forum, I am merely inviting people to discuss of this issue which plagues both the virtual and real life.

Actually, I find that for a programmer, it's good to listen to various things... Some people can develop certain preferences, for example, by certain software packages that they use, and then you can incorporate both styles, give users a choice, and land more market share.

I'm reminded of how OpenOffice was Sun Micro's dying salvo at MS and their gaudy overpriced 'Office' package. Rather than be evil and conniving like MS (by making deals with Fortune 500 companies where the company agrees to use only MS products, in exchange for a.. ~pulls # out of hat~ 60% reduction in cost on software costs....), they just released the fully-functional Office-like package, that did most of the same stuff, and had it's own proprietary file type.

It was much a global dig at software development, as it was a middle-finger salute to Microsoft, duplicating MS's own tactics, but making it cost exactly $0.
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • Doigt
As you say, this is something that reflects itself around society in many ways, not only direct conversations and debates. People do get influenced by opinions. They get left with an impression, and that impression is relative to their past experiences, which has been constructive to their personality and opinions. It gets subjective on many levels, even if the argument itself seems to be objective. As squirrel says, I think it does have some sort of influence and meaning, even though the purpose of the debate in entirety seems pointless. It opens up for example to new ideas by sharing taste, or preferences and opinions. You can be certain that the other party will attempt to argue you to their side and opinion, and in that way you can achieve a sense of their view as well. And you can use that knowledge, as Squirrel says, to assimilate insights and predict what possibilities and opinions exist to accordingly impact a larger portion of the market.
Have any questions? Send me a message here: http://agarioforums.net/private.php?action=send&uid=1
[-] The following 2 users Like Sora's post:
  • Doigt, Squirrel
(11-05-2017, 05:31 AM)Squirrel Wrote: Actually, I find that for a programmer, it's good to listen to various things... Some people can develop certain preferences, for example, by certain software packages that they use, and then you can incorporate both styles, give users a choice, and land more market share.

I'm reminded of how OpenOffice was Sun Micro's dying salvo at MS and their gaudy overpriced 'Office' package. Rather than be evil and conniving like MS (by making deals with Fortune 500 companies where the company agrees to use only MS products, in exchange for a.. ~pulls # out of hat~ 60% reduction in cost on software costs....), they just released the fully-functional Office-like package, that did most of the same stuff, and had it's own proprietary file type.

It was much a global dig at software development, as it was a middle-finger salute to Microsoft, duplicating MS's own tactics, but making it cost exactly $0.

I still remember the predecessor to OpenOffice called StarOffice. Even back then I was looking for a cheaper alternative to Microsoft Office. But, StarOffice just wasn’t ready yet.

This thread is reminding me of some of the other forgotten competitors like Stargate, WinZip, and WordPerfect.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post:
  • Squirrel
(11-06-2017, 02:32 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
I still remember the predecessor to OpenOffice called StarOffice. Even back then I was looking for a cheaper alternative to Microsoft Office. But, StarOffice just wasn’t ready yet.

This thread is reminding me of some of the other forgotten competitors like Stargate, WinZip, and WordPerfect.

Hehehehe! You said WordPerfect, and didn't mention Lotus123, or CorelDraw! (lol)

It was 1985 or 86 I think when I was using a Mac, and saw the new version of MS Word, and said, "HEY!!! That's not MS Word, that's MathType!"

Since then, it's a long-standing tradition, particularly with MS... to try and make their own product, which both sucks and fails, and then they bought up some company who'd made one that worked. (And yes, that's part of why I say MS is evil.)

The latest victim is probably to be Skype.

Or look at Yahoo Messenger, which was engulfed, replaced by the much inferior old AOL Messenger, and I'm sure is now all but dead.

IT moves on.... and it's not always for OUR betterment, just for the finances of the IT companies that are left.
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!