Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vienna Travel Guide(?)
Hey everyone

So I've recently been in Vienna, and here are a few things about it:

-There's a McDonald's on every street corner (Don't take it seriously).
-There are a lot of beggars.
-There are a lot of tourists, espicially Chinese and Japanese.
-Public transport is great. There are subways and trams, and you only have to wait 5 minutes max.
-Standing on the right side of the escalator, so that people who are in hurry can walk past you easily, is polite.
-There is an ENORMOUS mall, where you can really get lost. (75% ofm the shops are clothes and shoes).
-Cars turning right or left interfeer with pedestrian crossings.
-Few modern flats. There are giant older buildings instead.
-The roads are not mad of asphalt, but of concrete plates.
-There is quite a lot of green.
-Giving small tips is polite.
-Overall well organized traffic.
-Cars are allowed to drive in shopping districts.
-There aren't bicycle paths everywhere, so some people use 'things' on the wide pavements.

I hope this helps you if you ever go there Smile
"Do you want to fly with a dragon?"

"No, I want to be a dragon flying"
[-] The following 2 users Like ℱIRE 's post:
  • Sora, Squirrel
(04-29-2016, 04:27 PM)ℱIRE Wrote: I hope this helps you if you ever go there Smile

At first, I thought Vienna was that little place where you have a million waterways, and almost everyone owns a boat.... but obviously I'm wrong.

I almost feel like I've been to Vienna after reading, so thanks for sharing!

The miser-in-me loves to read about places, and see pictures... It's so much cheaper than going yourself, and nothing ever goes wrong! Big Grin

For anyone else who might like that sort of thing, I'd like to recommend this place:
www.wayn.com (Where Are You Now)
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • ℱIRE
(04-29-2016, 05:01 PM)Squirrel Wrote:
(04-29-2016, 04:27 PM)ℱIRE Wrote: I hope this helps you if you ever go there Smile

At first, I thought Vienna was that little place where you have a million waterways, and almost everyone owns a boat.... but obviously I'm wrong.

I almost feel like I've been to Vienna after reading, so thanks for sharing!

The miser-in-me loves to read about places, and see pictures... It's so much cheaper than going yourself, and nothing ever goes wrong! Big Grin

For anyone else who might like that sort of thing, I'd like to recommend this place:
www.wayn.com (Where Are You Now)

Glad you found it good! Of course, I haven't been everywhere, so there may be waterways Smile

One other negative thing about Vienna, is that historical buildings like Hofburg, Schönbrunn and Belvedere, are immediately surrounded by traffic. You literally have a 4-lane road 5 metres in front of Schönbrunn. They should rather have a small park around them.

Never heard of Vienna ;o
Was it fun there? Big Grin
~Konoha/ Blud
I'm gorgeous!

[Image: bb4e29b1658af6553f2df77facf12568.png]
(04-29-2016, 05:10 PM)blood cr Wrote: Never heard of Vienna ;o
Was it fun there? Big Grin

Vienna is the capital of Austria.
It was fun indeed  Big Grin

(04-29-2016, 05:07 PM)ℱIRE Wrote: Glad you found it good! Of course, I haven't been everywhere, so there may be waterways Smile

The movie "The Italian Job" was filmed there. If you haven't seen it, it's good. Smile (Seth Green gives good geek in it, and I love Charlize's revenge. Big Grin) Maybe it is Vienna, and it's just a section of town that's like that? Ugh, this is going to gnaw at me now!

(04-29-2016, 05:07 PM)ℱIRE Wrote: One other negative thing about Vienna, is that historical buildings like Hofburg, Schönbrunn and Belvedere, are immediately surrounded by traffic. You literally have a 4-lane road 5 metres in front of Schönbrunn. They should rather have a small park around them.

Standard city-planning nightmares, right? You build some grandiose building in your one-street-town, never dreaming than in 50-100 yrs, the population will be 1 million or more, and all the space between road and buildings will have been swallowed by the roads!
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
(04-29-2016, 05:29 PM)Squirrel Wrote:
(04-29-2016, 05:07 PM)ℱIRE Wrote: Glad you found it good! Of course, I haven't been everywhere, so there may be waterways Smile

The movie "The Italian Job" was filmed there. If you haven't seen it, it's good. Smile (Seth Green gives good geek in it, and I love Charlize's revenge. Big Grin) Maybe it is Vienna, and it's just a section of town that's like that? Ugh, this is going to gnaw at me now!

(04-29-2016, 05:07 PM)ℱIRE Wrote: One other negative thing about Vienna, is that historical buildings like Hofburg, Schönbrunn and Belvedere, are immediately surrounded by traffic. You literally have a 4-lane road 5 metres in front of Schönbrunn. They should rather have a small park around them.

Standard city-planning nightmares, right? You build some grandiose building in your one-street-town, never dreaming than in 50-100 yrs, the population will be 1 million or more, and all the space between road and buildings will have been swallowed by the roads!
Imagine you walk out the magnificent gates of Schönbrunn, and you're expecting to see a beatuiful and peaceful grass field. But then reality comes in, and spoils your dreams: You see a light grey 4-lane concrete road with loads of cars, trucks, busses and trams. There are a few parking spots filled with busses. From one bus come a 30 people sized group of Chinese or Japanese tourists and they completely take over the terrain. 
Next you walk across the pavement and you come across a group of old people who also take over the terrain. And then you want to cross the road to get your subway-train, and you almost get hit by a really dirty and polluting truck.
Bad city planning.

[-] The following 1 user Likes ℱIRE 's post:
  • Squirrel