Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SetupVPN
SetupVPN is an awesome app that you can download in the Chrome Web store. It unblocked anything that is blocked at your school, or at some kind of place where somethings blocked. There is a premium version, but the free version is also good! It is an easy app to use! Download it and check it out! Smile To connect to the VPN, first download it, then pick your country, and connect. You need an account, so register! Simple, fun, fast, and easy! Link to setupVPN https://setupvpn.com/

Just an advertisement XD

[Image: enAWQVn.jpg]

Can you use it to hide from your own ISP?

Seems like a lot of VPN services are on sale these days.
(04-06-2017, 12:26 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote: Can you use it to hide from your own ISP?

Seems like a lot of VPN services are on sale these days.

Since I work for one (ISP), I guess I ought to answer...

At the end of the day, there is always a log trail that leads back to you.

Using a VPN does make that log trail harder to procure, though.

You could also use a chain of VPN's, but again, that doesn't make it impossible to find you, it just makes it harder.
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • YEET
@Squirrel
How is that, if someone connects to websites using VPN and the connection is encrypted, what does ISP see in logs? I wondered one day.
For example, if ISP blocks some websites, reaching it can be bypassed by using for example Opera with its built in VPN.
What does ISP see in this example in its logs?

And as a addition to the main topic, the above mentioned browser Opera has free to use VPN with some locations to choose from and random IPs.
Funny Agar.io stories and quizzes:
[Image: kGerjtN.png]
Find more on: Youtube · Twitter
(04-06-2017, 08:40 AM)Lucyfer Wrote: @Squirrel
How is that, if someone connects to websites using VPN and the connection is encrypted, what does ISP see in logs? I wondered one day.
For example, if ISP blocks some websites, reaching it can be bypassed by using for example Opera with its built in VPN.
What does ISP see in this example in its logs?

And as a addition to the main topic, the above mentioned browser Opera has free to use VPN with some locations to choose from and random IPs.

As I understand it, it would be like this:

If you use a VPN, your ISP sees a TCP connection made to the VPN provider, and that IP address. With the connection being encrypted, they could sniff the traffic, if they wanted to, but they would need to unencrypt it to determine anything. If they managed it, they could read your outbound packets and know what sites you went to, even if you were using a VPN chain. (But that would be difficult. I know the NSA has cracked https encryptions, so it might be possible... but your ISP would not be sniffing your traffic unless they had a court order to.

I know that Opera is a Mac product but am unaware of any VPN functionality. If it has a built-in VPN client, that would allow you to VPN somewhere, but you'd have to have an IP address username/password (ie: access to a repeater/VPN service), so again, there';d be a log to the next step in the chain.

Your ISP itself could be ordered to supply logs for your connection, and would show the outbound connection to your VPN provider. The investigators would then move on, and contact those people, and demand logs for connections using your IP over the timeframe they'd identified for the first step.

If you used a VPN chain, this would continue, until eventually, they had logs for the actual site you visited.
Fight the Good Fight
  • Lucyfer
Thanks, I was just wondering of a simple scenario: a single connection via Opera's VPN to a website which is blocked by ISP. So ISP can't tell easily what was the site a client has connected to.

Ech, these korean spambots are pain in the butt... It's horrible last days (weeks?). I feel sorry for mods, they come to forums and instead of writing posts, they waste time getting rid of spam ones.
(04-06-2017, 10:11 AM)Lucyfer Wrote: Thanks, I was just wondering of a simple scenario: a single connection via Opera's VPN to a website which is blocked by ISP. So ISP can't tell easily what was the site a client has connected to.

Ech, these korean spambots are pain in the butt... It's horrible last days (weeks?). I feel sorry for mods, they come to forums and instead of writing posts, they waste time getting rid of spam ones.

Well, again, if you're making a VPN connection off your machine, you're using a piece of software called a VPN client (which could be embedded in a browser, such as Opera), but you'd still need to specify an IP to connect to, to form the VPN tunnel, which would require authentication.

It's possible Opera would run that itself, but that would be a colossally stupid thing to do, because they'd constantly be getting hit with court orders, providing it would require equipment and colocation costs, which I don't see how they'd recover, and would just generally be an all-around huge pain in the ... yeah.
Fight the Good Fight
@Squirrel
Believe me or not, this is what they do. I am sure they log everything, but the VPN functionality with tunelling is there and working. I don't know how do they authenticate, but there is no need for you to do anything other then turn VPN on in browser itself. IP is assigned automatically.

I bet it is a strategy to attract poeple to use their software and eventually it will be limited somehow, but for now (and for last few months) it works very well.
(04-06-2017, 02:12 AM)Squirrel Wrote: Since I work for one (ISP), I guess I ought to answer...

You could also use a chain of VPN's, but again, that doesn't make it impossible to find you, it just makes it harder.

So, what kind of data does your company collect and what is it used for?

I can understand if you don't want to answer.

Thanks for all the info so far!
(04-07-2017, 01:29 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:
(04-06-2017, 02:12 AM)Squirrel Wrote: Since I work for one (ISP), I guess I ought to answer...

So, what kind of data does your company collect and what is it used for?

I can understand if you don't want to answer.

Thanks for all the info so far!

We collect no data at all on our customers, nor will we sell that data to others. (The data they provide on themselves, is strictly protected; we have an ISO accreditation that ensures that.) Other than basic logging. (Time spent on-line, and their IP address. We don't even bother logging where they go. But, if we get a court-order to monitor a specific user for a police investigation, dang right we comply.)

Of course, it's a smaller company, we have mostly business clients who have their own equipment in our facility, although, we offer a full range of services (down to and including DSL; we even still have a few dial-up customers).

Legal changes are coming here in Canada that may force us to collect some additional data, but that is as yet, unclear.

However, logs are obviously kept, and persist a good while. We would not be a decent company if we were not a technological partner that took abuse complaints, and so on seriously.
Fight the Good Fight
  • Lucyfer
i got it ages ago

[Image: vyNXqdV.gif]

[Image: 8L9jzaX.gif]

Hey! Im breakfast. If you need me, just pop me a message. I may not be active for a while so just take that into thought!!