Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new forum
hey guys im making a forum (still) -sighs- and i need 3 people to help me.

1-I need a Developer who has experience with forums to help me set up the code
2-I need a Moderator to make rules, set up forum etc
3-I need a tester to test every page on the forum, find errors, give ideas, recommend plugins etc.

i would need someone i know and people i trust. The roles are unpaid and would start in the new year.  You dont have to be active much but it would be better if you do and if you do a good job, when the forum is released you may keep your role.

You must have a discord account and (optional) an account on this forum

[Image: vyNXqdV.gif]

[Image: 8L9jzaX.gif]

Hey! Im breakfast. If you need me, just pop me a message. I may not be active for a while so just take that into thought!!
Hey, I could help you Moderate the forum. I use to do that a bit back.

Good luck with your fourm. Also, what is going to be about?
Tell us what your forum is about! Big Grin
[Image: Voakie.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Voakie 's post:
  • Squirrel
its gonna be a gaming forum. Hopefully if created well i can have loads of links for games and games servers, if servers are online etc.

so far i havent purchased a paid domain or hosting so imma set it up and make paypal donation page so i can collect money for hosting etc

Hey! Im breakfast. If you need me, just pop me a message. I may not be active for a while so just take that into thought!!
Don't get me wrong... it's great that you want to set up a space where people can share about gaming...

But there are already loads of these, at least a specific one for every game exists. So one forum for all games and gamers is not gonna work out. Here you have the calm tactics player, over there you have the point and clickers, and there the shoot-em-ups.

Well, that is, I think it's not gonna work out. If you got this planned out and ready to go, don't be discouraged! Who knows what will happen, really?
[Image: Voakie.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Voakie 's post:
  • Robin , Squirrel
You need a developer, moderator, and tester... how could you call it "my forum" if you won't do anything for it?
Or you just gonna pay for it?
Blud
[-] The following 2 users Like Valorous's post:
  • Relax , Squirrel
(12-26-2016, 05:03 PM)Voakie Wrote: Don't get me wrong... it's great that you want to set up a space where people can share about gaming...

But there are already loads of these, at least a specific one for every game exists. So one forum for all games and gamers is not gonna work out. Here you have the calm tactics player, over there you have the point and clickers, and there the shoot-em-ups.

Well, that is, I think it's not gonna work out. If you got this planned out and ready to go, don't be discouraged! Who knows what will happen, really?

its mainly for ios and android(mobile games)

[-] The following 2 users Like Breakfast 's post:
  • Apix , Voakie
I can test
Wee Willy Winky runs through the town.
Upstairs downstairs, in his nightgown.
Rapping at the windows, crying through the lock.
Are all the children in their beds? For now it's eight o'clock.
Hm, interesting forum about mobile gaming. I personally like that idea, I haven't seen many communities that focus around the mobile gamers. I would love to apply to become a Moderator for your forum. I'm extremely skilled in this as I was a Forum-Moderator for a Minecraft forum back when I played the game. Unfortunately the community shut down due to finances.

Good luck with your forum my friend.

Good luck with your forum  Exclamation

That idea isnt that bad ...

... I think about that, it will have different sections for ...

- candy crush
- pokemon go
- agar.io
- temple run
- clash of clans
- slash mobs
- supermechs
- etc.

Exclamation
[Image: 0RSYTXe.jpg]

Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else Exclamation
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supergirl 's post:
  • Breakfast
(12-26-2016, 05:03 PM)Voakie Wrote: Don't get me wrong... it's great that you want to set up a space where people can share about gaming...

I think setting up a Forum is a good IT experience. Largely, you can do it for free.

But I love the Goat for saying (apparently easily, but perhaps he just values truth over BS too much) some of the harder-to-hear things...

If this is being done for the experience of it all, do it without throwing money at it.

You may have this idea in your head, and after visiting countless gaming forums, have become disheartened because none of them really 'fit you well', but welcome to the part of Forums that is hard -- getting a sufficient user-base to generate new users via word of mouth, and maintaining a quality of the content that makes people want to come back.

I don't like reading reams of BS.

And I'm only on one Forum.

In my very-distant past, I helped young kids set up bulletin boards (same thing as a Forum), and I remember how I eventually tired of them, found that a Forum transmogrified from fun and value, to just 'work', when you had responsibilities.

It's harder than you think. And there's generally no reward -- a smattering of praise, amongst reams of disrespectful idiots, saying what comes to their minds, never considering the effort needed on the part of those making them available. Especially, for free.

(12-26-2016, 05:53 PM)Valorous Wrote: You need a developer, moderator, and tester... how could you call it "my forum" if you won't do anything for it?
Or you just gonna pay for it?

The point seems harsh, and yet I can't overlook the truth in it, and the overall point:

A Forums main needs are:
  • - administration (overseeing users, keeping software exploits at bay, maintenance and hardware/virtual environments) (which is the lowest % work of the 4)
  • - moderation (making sure the content is enjoyable enough to keep people coming back)
  • - development (keeping the place 'fresh' and current; adding to again, keep users coming back)
  • - testing (to find the oinbvious bugs and shortfalls before giving it the opportunity to discourage a part of your user base from returning)

In the end, none of the kids that I set up something like this for ran it for more than 3 years.

So if you're only doing the 'administration' part, which is ostensibly the easiest... I think Valourous is just suggesting you probably need to take on at least one more of those roles, for it to be viable for you.

I don't want to be a downer either.

But I was never interested in running a Forum myself. I wanted none of the responsibility. I wanted to help, but recognized that my willingness to help came and went in 'waves'. That said, I played around a lot in the development side:
  • had one of the first "multi-line" forums (more than 1 person using it at a time) due to a multiplexor on a HD (both unheard of then, and unheard of now, lol)
  • developed simple "device drivers" for modems, which amplified my abilities in machine language
  • made a couple of simple games (non-graphical), as time-wasters
  • made a variant that was geared for DM's to run a Dungeons & Dragons campaign

Point being, I did it mostly for myself... gathering new developmental experiences, enjoying the people that were there, for a time (but rarely consistent -- ie: they vanish).

So what is it that will drive you?
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 2 users Like Squirrel 's post:
  • Breakfast , Voakie