Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pointless Clicker
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/687795
made me think of this
[Image: giphy.gif]
I've been steadily working on reorganizing my code so that everything can be modified efficiently when the need arises.
By example, all game messages are now in one file and the game takes those messages through function calls.
But it's also the case for all things which are massive, like the alchemy lab research feature which has its own file.
I'm also working on a way to make testing easier by coding in a cheat menu. This won't actually be part of the final game and only the closed alpha and beta versions will have that menu.

After those things are finished, I will move on to new features. And perhaps, who knows, I'll release the game publicly. But for now, the number of people who has access to the unfinished crap can be counted on two hands and maybe a foot...

@Squirrel said he would like to see my code to know more about me and because of him, you all suffer this terrible screenshot of a js file.

[Image: BqjEQyb.png]

My Brother Says (when questioned about the validity of a claim) Wrote:...the odds of such an event happening are within the realm of possibilities of this universe.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doigt's post:
  • Sora
(04-23-2017, 10:32 PM)Doigt Wrote: I've been steadily working on reorganizing my code so that everything can be modified efficiently when the need arises.
By example, all game messages are now in one file and the game takes those messages through function calls.
But it's also the case for all things which are massive, like the alchemy lab research feature which has its own file.
I'm also working on a way to make testing easier by coding in a cheat menu. This won't actually be part of the final game and only the closed alpha and beta versions will have that menu.

After those things are finished, I will move on to new features. And perhaps, who knows, I'll release the game publicly. But for now, the number of people who has access to the unfinished crap can be counted on two hands and maybe a foot...

@Squirrel said he would like to see my code to know more about me and because of him, you all suffer this terrible screenshot of a js file.

~snips that cringey image, lol!~

No style marks there.... Hehe, yeah, I think I can remember a prof saying, "If you need to use 3 consecutive if-then-else statements, you get zero!"

And don't be an @ss like I was, and say "Sir, what if you're forced to use FORTRAN IV??" (lol) Those &%^#$'rs take names and love to give extra zeroes.

Instead, you would want to use some sort of an array. Wink

But the logic you used is real easy on the mind, and it works.

The modern-day boss would be none the wiser, and be happy.

And those profs.... maybe I was just bitter, but it seemed they each lived in their own bubble in the world, each with his own style that was better than anything else you'd learn/be taught. Those who succeeded, learned to morph, and always "do it their way".

But I find it amusing that you earlier finished telling me that your code was messy.... and then you post a message saying how you'd been cleaning it up! ~grin~

I guess that means you're progressing, eh?!

~teeeeassse!~

And what does this code tell me? You're logical, perhaps not fully sure of yourself yet... an A-to-B man (this would be an insult, if the prof were using OOP... and a compliment if you were using COBOL... lol), and you'll take the mentally-untaxing way, rather than the shortest way.... for now.

How do you think I did?? Big Grin
Fight the Good Fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PigupJKlOk
Make it worth the price we pay!
(Lyrics: http://www.metrolyrics.com/fight-the-goo...iumph.html)
You're spot on, @Squirrel
I always take the simplest way to a solution. It is sort of my way of life and I think A to B in absolutely everything I do. Why have an expensive car when any cheap car can do the job well enough? Funnily enough, while I love coding, I'm lazy when doing it and have no particular talent for it, I'm not saying that I'm bad though. I wanted to make a web game and I had to learn javascript, html and css for that. Because I knew that while php is a much more powerful language in terms of what it can do, it is definitely out of my league.

I value efficiency and simplicity over elegance and complexity and I am an adept of the KISS principle (in such a way, efficiency cannot be in the way of simplicity). Why break your head and slow down the pace? I must say it again though, I've never had any proper education in programming and scripting languages and as such, I do what I can, from what I've seen in basic internet tutorials and source codes from websites which had the things I wanted to do myself. If a teacher stumbles upon my code and needs to whine about it because it's not how he would do it, I don't care. (and sincerely, arrays are a waste of time for what I need to do)

I'm only cleaning it up because the code was hard to read and follow; it needed an improvement before I got lost in it, but I don't believe that I've made any sort of progress.

Btw oop becomes complete poop each time I give it a go

My Brother Says (when questioned about the validity of a claim) Wrote:...the odds of such an event happening are within the realm of possibilities of this universe.
  • Squirrel
(04-23-2017, 11:46 PM)Doigt Wrote: You're spot on, @Squirrel
I always take the simplest way to a solution. It is sort of my way of life and I think A to B in absolutely everything I do. Why have an expensive car when any cheap car can do the job well enough? Funnily enough, while I love coding, I'm lazy when doing it and have no particular talent for it, I'm not saying that I'm bad though. I wanted to make a web game and I had to learn javascript, html and css for that. Because I knew that while php is a much more powerful language in terms of what it can do, it is definitely out of my league.

I value efficiency and simplicity over elegance and complexity and I am an adept of the KISS principle (in such a way, efficiency cannot be in the way of simplicity). Why break your head and slow down the pace? I must say it again though, I've never had any proper education in programming and scripting languages and as such, I do what I can, from what I've seen in basic internet tutorials and source codes from websites which had the things I wanted to do myself. If a teacher stumbles upon my code and needs to whine about it because it's not how he would do it, I don't care. (and sincerely, arrays are a waste of time for what I need to do)

I'm only cleaning it up because the code was hard to read and follow; it needed an improvement before I got lost in it, but I don't believe that I've made any sort of progress.

Btw oop becomes complete poop each time I give it a go

I too think you were spot-on.

By the time you figure out what you need to do for an array, you could have been done that section 5x over, because it's simple and straight forward... So why go deeper?

But after you make your little game, who knows, you might start to dream of bolder games and that... is exactly how I learned it all. I was grades ahead of my teacher in highschool. She didn't even try to keep pace. She gave/loaned me some reference materials, got me an invite to show up to the School Board's location where they had their mainframe (IBM370; lol, showing my age again)... and an account card from my local University, so I could use their IBM370 as well. (They had a ton more languages to try.)

I did it all from books. (There was no public internet yet. There weren't even terminals at the University. They had an army of card-punch machines (lol). By the time I got to uni, then they had terminals.

If you can learn from books and reference materials, mannn, there is just no stopping you, once you put your mind to something.

So here's hoping you 'go long' to your mind. Wink
~adds an American football phrase in a measly attempt to offset the geekiness displayed in this post~

OOP didn't bite my @ss until I had to walk into a highschool and teache all the senior level courses for 4 months. I spent the most time trying to wrap my head around that, and made the least leeway, so you're not alone by a long shot. Smile But I nailed down the foundation, up to uhnn... oh man, what was it called... "normalizing" data? Which was ANYTHING BUT normal. (lol)

But... my lack of gaming prowess also made me want to cheat and crack, and I learned 2 forms of machine language. I remember being 17, sitting on a massive rock with a friend of mine who I started a rinky-dink business with, doing machine language, and arguing about addressing techniques... pointer to an address, pointer to a register, pointer to a pointer or an address, indirect indexing, and direct indirect.... oh mannnn... our heads were swiss cheese.

But it was fun -- and I can say that for certainty, because most of the school [email protected] I did back then, I couldn't remember to save my life.

Push on, friend! I can't wait to see how hard ya go! And remember... Don't be bored. When you're feeling bored, it's time to push deeper! Big Grin
Fight the Good Fight
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • Doigt
Added a cheat menu to make testing easier.
Such menu will be deactivated in public versions of the game, of course.
However, it won't be completely removed, so those who are a bit more curious (or cunning) will probably be able to activate the cheat menu, but I don't really care. At this point, I just want to make the job easier and I don't want to be concerned about what people do with said menu.

[-] The following 2 users Like Doigt's post:
  • Squirrel , Voakie
(04-30-2017, 05:01 AM)Doigt Wrote: Added a cheat menu to make testing easier.
Such menu will be deactivated in public versions of the game, of course.
However, it won't be completely removed, so those who are a bit more curious (or cunning) will probably be able to activate the cheat menu, but I don't really care. At this point, I just want to make the job easier and I don't want to be concerned about what people do with said menu.

I think there are somany games with cheats, just becaise when making something, it makes so much sense to put some debugging stuff in there to help you recreate a specific situation, which really helps in the debugging.

And it's easy to find, because if you disassemble the code, it generally comes out like this:

DEBUG: JUMP to DEBUG OFF // since the programmer turned debugging mode off for the actual release
all the debugging code here
DEBUGOFF: code continues

And all you have to do is replace the JUMP command + bytes containing the address with "No Op" operations, and then save it. All done!
Fight the Good Fight
Squirrel, once again, you avoid me the shame of double posting! What would I do without you ;-P
Yes, I also do have the feeling that people will find ways whether you want it or not. It's simply a matter of time. The few people who have had the bad luck of trying Pointless Clicker were cheating before I helped them do it and before they knew my opinion on the matter. Now they're probably all happy that I'm saving them time.

I've just finished rewriting two thirds of the current code and thus, the promised day approaches.
Here is the current status of the main alpha goals:

-> Completion of the code re-organization (or, should I say optimization?). 66.7%
-> Completion of the Alchemy Lab (transform grandpas into zombies, upgrade zombies, spread a virus, etc). 33.3%
-> Grandpapocalypse, the grandpas rebel and you have to survive! 0%

Side goals:

-> Being less lazy. Soon™
-> Cheat Menu. 100%
-> Fix all the typoes in the game. Soon™
-> Fix the merging box glitch on some monitors. When pigs will fly. I did change the layout though

At the rythm I'm going, the non-game may soon end into a playable state and I've wondered if then, when I'll be ready to be impaled by forks of a greater mob rather than just the small group I've gathered on Discord, should I build my own forum and community? What I mean is that I've abused a bit of my friend Sora's hospitality for a long while now and I don't see how he benefits from me advertising my project at his place. Especially since I don't plan to stay here in the long term anyway.

I'm asking everyone who has even a little interest for the project, what are your thoughts on this?

Anyways, for now, it doesn't really matter, but I thought that I should mention it.

I'm looking for testers! If you are interested in testing my crap (and not just PC, but potentially future games as well), send me a pm!

• Squirrel
(05-01-2017, 12:56 AM)Doigt Wrote: At the rythm I'm going, the non-game may soon end into a playable state and I've wondered if then, when I'll be ready to be impaled by forks of a greater mob rather than just the small group I've gathered on Discord, should I build my own forum and community? What I mean is that I've abused a bit of my friend Sora's hospitality for a long while now and I don't see how he benefits from me advertising my project at his place. Especially since I don't plan to stay here in the long term anyway.

I'm asking everyone who has even a little interest for the project, what are your thoughts on this?

Anyways, for now, it doesn't really matter, but I thought that I should mention it.

I'm looking for testers! If you are interested in testing my crap (and not just PC, but potentially future games as well), send me a pm!

Sounds good!

I have a suggested course of action for your "laziness" thing.

Keeping in mind that I, a quasi-retired-sub-programmer decided long ago that, being lazy made me a good programmer (ie: I automated mundane & boring IT tasks that should never have to be done by a live human being at an IT company!).....

Every time you find yourself bored, set out to work on Pointless Clicker.

And if you decide not to work on it... fine. But then give yourself the caveat that you have to find something else that interests you to work on instead.

In the end, you'll be better off for it. Wink

We've been through this next process already... the one where you feel you're not doing much here, and think you should go.

You want to make a "Pointless Clicker Community"? You could.... but why, when there's perfectly decent people here who like you and read your posts? Wink

Are you going to mount a national campaign for testers? ~teeeeeassse!~

So to save Sora from saying it, I'll restate the obvious. ~coughs~

Request to leave: DENIED

~turns to the crowd and calls for the scripted chant~

"Thank you, Captain Obvious!"

~rereads the missive, and having potentially ticked off every live person reading this, runs into the forest to hide~
Fight the Good Fight
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • Doigt
Haha, I didn't mean to properly leave but that the Pointless Clicker discussion be moved to its own forums. And one of main reasons for that being that I started the project as a Cookie Clicker parody (it no longer is only that) and that as such, my main "Base of Operations" was the Dashnet forums and its slack chat. Then, I also had lots of friends on the Animerush chat interested in the project too (in fact, most testers who worked with me on the project are from there). As such, people from three different communities have tried, heard of/supports pointless clicker. I thought it would be quite useful to have a common place for those persons which are only tied by my game to discuss and share and perhaps build a community on that. Although, I did distance myself a bit from the two other communities due to the drama there, it doesn't change the fact that at its birth, PC is a project indepedent from AGF.

As such, it isn't as obvious as you say. But I fully understand and appreciate your opinion.