Register
Hello There, Guest!

Poll: Do you have an Amazon Prime membership?
Yes
No, but I might get one in the future
No, never getting one
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon Prime
Hello, was just wondering if I could do some sampling. It would obviously be nice to get a census, but it's unpractical. Please mark yes/no depending on whether you are a user of Amazon Prime. And yes, there's a reason behind it (something that has probably never been done before on these forums); I will follow through depending on how much feedback this thread gets.

By the way, before you go about judging thinking I'm trying to advertise... NO, that's not what I'm trying to do. Hope you guys vote!

Update:
Thank you to those who have voted thus far. By the way, the potential follow-up post will be catered towards to those who have Amazon Prime memberships! Big Grin
[Image: giphy.gif]
(05-06-2017, 06:36 PM)iAcid Wrote: Hello, was just wondering if I could do some sampling. It would obviously be nice to get a census, but it's unpractical. Please mark yes/no depending on whether you are a user of Amazon Prime. And yes, there's a reason behind it (something that has probably never been done before on these forums); I will follow through depending on how much feedback this thread gets.

By the way, before you go about judging thinking I'm trying to advertise... NO, that's not what I'm trying to do. Hope you guys vote!

Update:
Thank you to those who have voted thus far. By the way, the potential follow-up post will be catered towards to those who have Amazon Prime memberships! Big Grin

I recently became aware of Amazon's own apparatus for digging through your digital data, and how they'll try to sell you anything under the sun, once they think you might have an inclination to.

They seem like just another eeeeevvvvillll empire!
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • Doigt
Lol, I had to google what Amazon prime is  Angel
"Do you want to fly with a dragon?"

"No, I want to be a dragon flying"
I don't use prime even though i always buy from Amazon.

I think Amazon still offers a 30 day trial.
(05-08-2017, 01:02 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote: I don't use prime even though i always buy from Amazon.

I think Amazon still offers a 30 day trial.

Yeah, at first I didn't realize that "Prime" is an add-on that gives you certain benefits. (Faster shipping, I think, is the main one?)

But at $99.00/yr.... maaaan, if I buy $99.00 of stuff on-line in a year, that would be a miracle. I don't want the hassle of possibly being shipped a lemon, and then have to return it... I'd rather go to a brick-and-mortar store, pick one that appears undamaged/etc., and if it's broken. be able to go back to the store the same day & pick a different one.

Amazon saves a boatload of money by being a purely on-line business, and a minimal amount of savings are passed on to us. They are essentially the on-line equivalent to Wal-Mart... So, thus far I have never bought a thing from Amazon. Obviously, their "Prime" service is only beneficial to those who make heavy use of Amazon.
Fight the Good Fight
  • run SPOT run
(05-08-2017, 02:24 AM)Squirrel Wrote: Yeah, at first I didn't realize that "Prime" is an add-on that gives you certain benefits. (Faster shipping, I think, is the main one?)

But at $99.00/yr.... maaaan, if I buy $99.00 of stuff on-line in a year, that would be a miracle. I don't want the hassle of possibly being shipped a lemon, and then have to return it... I'd rather go to a brick-and-mortar store, pick one that appears undamaged/etc., and if it's broken. be able to go back to the store the same day & pick a different one.

Amazon saves a boatload of money by being a purely on-line business, and a minimal amount of savings are passed on to us. They are essentially the on-line equivalent to Wal-Mart... So, thus far I have never bought a thing from Amazon. Obviously, their "Prime" service is only beneficial to those who make heavy use of Amazon.

Amazon Prime is much more than free shipping.

I grabbed this straight from the source:

Quote:Prime members also enjoy exclusive access to movies and TV shows, ad-free music, Kindle books, original audio series and unlimited photo storage

I remember hearing Amazon opened a physical store in Seattle and maybe more. They help close B&M stores, then start opening them.
[-] The following 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post:
  • iAcid, Squirrel
(05-09-2017, 01:01 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote: Amazon Prime is much more than free shipping.

I grabbed this straight from the source:

Quote:Prime members also enjoy exclusive access to movies and TV shows, ad-free music, Kindle books, original audio series and unlimited photo storage

I remember hearing Amazon opened a physical store in Seattle and maybe more. They help close B&M stores, then start opening them.

Once again, not trying to advertise, but people underestimate the show selection of Amazon prime. In fact, Amazon paid Netflix so that [Show ??] would be taken off Netflix and available only online via Amazon prime and DVD. Amazon saw the ongoing success from this show and snatched [Show ??] from Netflix. AND OMG, THE SHOW IS SOOOO GOOD. If you're one of those people who think a show like Breaking Bad is good, this show just sets the bar way too high. It's unfair, but it's an insanely enjoyable ride. In case it isn't obvious already... Hint, hint. The potential follow-up thread is all about [Show ??]

Thank you to @Shadow Fox for pointing out that Prime is much more than just fast and free shipping. (Oh man, I sound like an advertiser) 
(Sorry not sorry)
[-] The following 1 user Likes iAcid's post:
  • Squirrel
It's still quite expensive if you're only in it for the movies. It costs almost nothing to just use your two legs and rent a dvd at a nearby store, you know. (Apologies to those who can't use their legs or have less than the required number to stand up)
(05-12-2017, 05:26 PM)Doigt Wrote: It's still quite expensive if you're only in it for the movies. It costs almost nothing to just use your two legs and rent a dvd at a nearby store, you know. (Apologies to those who can't use their legs or have less than the required number to stand up)

Prime delivery services are great! Of course, I can't simply just have a subscription for Amazon Prime Video xD
(05-12-2017, 05:26 PM)Doigt Wrote: It's still quite expensive if you're only in it for the movies. It costs almost nothing to just use your two legs and rent a dvd at a nearby store, you know. (Apologies to those who can't use their legs or have less than the required number to stand up)

Aside from automated kiosks, what stores are you renting videos from?

Rental stores like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video are long gone in most countries.

Many public libraries have music and video collections that can be checked out though.

If you have the cash, yeah that's the way you should do it. (If no-one saw the movie in theatres, and no-one bought the DVD, and no TV channels bought the rights to show it... soon, we'd have exactly ZERO new movies to watch.

But the lazy guy pipes up and says, "And if you don't (have the cash), just find it available for streaming somewhere on the Net! Just know how to take care of viruses and malware, before you begin..." (lol)
Fight the Good Fight
  • Doigt
(05-13-2017, 02:39 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:

Aside from automated kiosks, what stores are you renting videos from?

Rental stores like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video are long gone in most countries.

Many public libraries have music and video collections that can be checked out though.

You are right, after doing some research, I found out that my province is the pretty much the only one in Canada where video rental is still going "strong" and from what I understand, they owe it to the fact that they also do video game rentals. Hmm. There's a video rental store pretty much every corner of every city here. We all call it "Vidéotron", but it's actually called Le SuperClub Vidéotron.

From what I read on wikipedia (therefore, take it with a grain of salt), some convenience stores and grocery stores may offer this service.