Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Question: Why always new?
Why do (most) people always want to have the newest of the newest? And why do they find it weird if you're using/playing something older?
"Do you want to fly with a dragon?"

"No, I want to be a dragon flying"
That's a REALLY good question, and people ask me all the time because I have a lot of older items. I personally think it's because people are materialistic and never satisfied with the current things they own, and also they see other people that have amazing stuff like really rich people. This makes them want to be that way to show I can do it too, but this kind of attitude is like chasing the wind it's totally useless. I say just live with the things you HAVE and ONLY buy the needs. Now I'm not saying that some wants are not bad. Just don't put it first in your life. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Apix 's post:
  • Squirrel , ℱIRE
(09-01-2016, 10:16 PM)Apix Wrote: That's a REALLY good question, and people ask me all the time because I have a lot of older items. I personally think it's because people are materialistic and never satisfied with the current things they own, and also they see other people that have amazing stuff like really rich people. This makes them want to be that way to show I can do it too, but this kind of attitude is like chasing the wind it's totally useless. I say just live with the things you HAVE and ONLY buy the needs. Now I'm not saying that some wants are not bad. Just don't put it first in your life. Big Grin

I can really see it at school. Everyone always wants the newest phones and basically buy a new one every year, while I just bought a new phone in 4 years. And my old one still works perfectly. But I also get the impression that a lot people think: Old things= Bad things. Good examples are games and second-hand cars.

[-] The following 1 user Likes ℱIRE 's post:
  • Squirrel
(09-01-2016, 10:23 PM)ℱIRE Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 10:16 PM)Apix Wrote: That's a REALLY good question, and people ask me all the time because I have a lot of older items. I personally think it's because people are materialistic and never satisfied with the current things they own, and also they see other people that have amazing stuff like really rich people. This makes them want to be that way to show I can do it too, but this kind of attitude is like chasing the wind it's totally useless. I say just live with the things you HAVE and ONLY buy the needs. Now I'm not saying that some wants are not bad. Just don't put it first in your life. Big Grin

I can really see it at school. Everyone always wants the newest phones and basically buy a new one every, while I just bought a new phone in 4 years. And my old one still works perfectly. But I also get the impression that a lot people think: Old things= Bad things. Good examples are games and second-hand cars.

Oh yes of course. I have an older Car a Honda 2002 Stick Shift and younger kids think it's so weird that a seventeen year old is driving a Stick, and I'm like "It's still a car, works for what I do" The phone is is totally ridiculous I have an iPhone 4 and it works for what I need it to do.
goes back to the old saying, "it's better to want what you have, than have what you want"
We became a throw away society in the 90's after free trade agreements moved manufacturing out of America and into cheap labor countries. This caused all kinds of products to become WAY cheaper (think the rise of Wall-Mart). While the prices went way down, so (unfortunately) did the quality, meaning that we bought more of the same things as we threw the old ones away. This trend (along with tech progress doubling every year [i.e. your computer is out of date on the day you buy it lol]) caused "westerners" to become used to always having the newest of everything, and not taking care of or fixing old things. I still fix my old stuff, and enjoy the challenge. My favorite hobbies are rebuilding old bikes, and rebuilding old computers (that's why I dont have a laptop). I totally agree that we all have too much stuff in our lives these days, and we need to stop buying cheap, as it only encourages the production of more cheap stuff. Your dollar is your most powerful vote, so spend it wisely!
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like run SPOT run 's post:
  • Apix , ℱIRE , ✨101✨
(09-01-2016, 11:05 PM)run SPOT run Wrote: goes back to the old saying, "it's better to want what you have, than have what you want"
We became a throw away society in the 90's after free trade agreements moved manufacturing out of America and into cheap labor countries. This caused all kinds of products to become WAY cheaper (think the rise of Wall-Mart). While the prices went way down, so (unfortunately) did the quality, meaning that we bought more of the same things as we threw the old ones away. This trend (along with tech progress doubling every year [i.e. your computer is out of date on the day you buy it lol]) caused "westerners" to become used to always having the newest of everything, and not taking care of or fixing old things. I still fix my old stuff, and enjoy the challenge. My favorite hobbies are rebuilding old bikes, and rebuilding old computers (that's why I dont have a laptop). I totally agree that we all have too much stuff in our lives these days, and we need to stop buying cheap, as it only encourages the production of more cheap stuff. Your dollar is your most powerful vote, so spend it wisely!

Agreed! I hate that some places are a throw away society.  Dodgy
New is perceived my most as better, that may not always be the case, but society has created this craving for "new", thus most people love "new things" and are attracted to materialistic items.
[Image: A4IOGZS.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like ✨101✨ 's post:
  • Squirrel , Voakie , ℱIRE
(09-02-2016, 04:14 AM)✨101✨ Wrote: New is perceived my most as better, that may not always be the case, but society has created this craving for "new", thus most people love "new things" and are attracted to materialistic items.

It often even is true, when looking at technology. Old things will break some day and new ones will make you even happier, wich probably creates this, said, craving.

But actually, I play old games myself a lot! Including Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (its actually fun Big Grin ), Anno 1404 (thanks fire), L.A. NOIRE (not thaaat old).
[Image: Voakie.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Voakie 's post:
  • ℱIRE , ✨101✨
(09-01-2016, 10:23 PM)ℱIRE Wrote:

I can really see it at school. Everyone always wants the newest phones and basically buy a new one every year, while I just bought a new phone in 4 years. And my old one still works perfectly. But I also get the impression that a lot people think: Old things= Bad things. Good examples are games and second-hand cars.

~still has a flip-phone~ (lol) With no data plan. Big Grin
The phone performs two functions. Well, okay, okay, three:
- Wrist watch replacement
- alarm clock (the only one I use)
- emergency phone (like when I want to order a pizza for pickup on my way to work, lol)
What. You think that I want to talk to anyone?! No friends call, just family. They can wait.

Also, having a useless phone saved my bacon once. I was in a bar, and thought, "Hmm, I'm getting the sense that guys are hitting on whatever moves here...."

Sho 'nuff, doesn't this drunk guy get up in my face, telling me I took pics of his girl with my phone. So I pull it out, say "Do you have any idea how bad the camera is in this?" and let him check. The camera in that phone is so cr@ppy, you could barely make out that my kids are kids, and if you rrrreally tried, you could see where the squirrel was on the tree.

After that, the guy left me alone... and I never went back.

(09-02-2016, 04:14 AM)✨101✨ Wrote: New is perceived my most as better, that may not always be the case, but society has created this craving for "new", thus most people love "new things" and are attracted to materialistic items.

And marketing departments of Fortune 500 companies spend a lot of money to talk up the new stuff, and keep this culture of entitlement going. How much their shareholders make on their stocks, depends on it!
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • ✨101✨
(09-02-2016, 07:02 AM)Voakie Wrote:

It often even is true, when looking at technology. Old things will break some day and new ones will make you even happier, wich probably creates this, said, craving.

But actually, I play old games myself a lot! Including Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (its actually fun Big Grin ), Anno 1404 (thanks fire), L.A. NOIRE (not thaaat old).

You're playing Anno 1404?!?! For how long? Tongue (PS: it's the game where I'm trying to get some bonus content feature AKA the golden ship Tongue)

I love playing old games on my SNES just like the Donkey Kong Country series, the Mega Man X series or single games just as Super Mario Bros. 2 - Yoshi's Island or Contra 3 The Alien Wars.
I'm not sure if you guys know any of these games, but they give me the feeling to be back in my young years (remember, I'm only 16 years old today).
            "Experience has taught me that wishful thinking 
                                 only leads to disappointment."

(09-02-2016, 06:10 PM)ℱIRE Wrote:

You're playing Anno 1404?!?! For how long? Tongue (PS: it's the game where I'm trying to get some bonus content feature AKA the golden ship Tongue)

A few days lol

(09-02-2016, 06:28 PM)Mikasa Wrote: I love playing old games on my SNES just like the Donkey Kong Country series, the Mega Man X series or single games just as Super Mario Bros. 2 - Yoshi's Island or Contra 3 The Alien Wars.
I'm not sure if you guys know any of these games, but they give me the feeling to be back in my young years (remember, I'm only 16 years old today).

Damn, it's kinda very old isn't it? How did it not break yet :O
(09-02-2016, 08:18 PM)Voakie Wrote:

A few days lol

Do you like it? Tongue

(09-02-2016, 10:32 PM)ℱIRE Wrote:
(09-02-2016, 08:18 PM)Voakie Wrote:

A few days lol

Do you like it? Tongue

Not sure... Its not really the type of game i like, but ill give it a chance Big Grin
(09-03-2016, 01:16 PM)Relax Wrote: I'm surprised no one has said it yet, but this is just summed up as perceived obsolescence.

'Perceived obsolescence: the part of planned obsolescence that refers to “desirability”. In other words, an object may continue to be functional, but it is no longer perceived to be stylish or appropriate, so it is rendered obsolete by perception, rather than by function.'

End of story. Big Grin
H I ,   I ' M   E D E N .
Aussie Boi. Music addict. Hopeless artistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eden's post:
  • ™ Chronic