Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is wearing a poppy??
Every year, around this time, anyone with a few dollars and some compassion starts wearing a red poppy... It's our way of remembering the soldiers that have died, either keeping Canada safe, or one of our allies. Or even a country that the UN deems requires a peacekeeping mission. November 11th is 'Remembrance Day' in Canada, which is usually the day we all stop for a few moments, and think about all the Canadians who died in WW I and WW II, to help liberate Europe from Hitler, and so on.

Do they do this in your country, I wonder??

[Image: 220px-Poppy_vector.svg.png]

In Canada, we often also have a special coin that is released in remembrance of our soldiers.

This year, we had a $2 coin remembering 'D-Day' of WW II, which was on June 6th.

It depicts the Canadians coming ashore in their amphibious landing craft, with the helmets of some soldiers visible at the front, eagerly awaiting their craft getting to the shore. This is what the coin looks like:

[Image: circ.png.pagespeed.ce.jqqw0AVqme.png]

I also wrote a more detailed thread about D-Day here: D-Day thread

Here's hoping that you will join in remembering that democracy and world peace comes at a cost, and to remember those who gave their lives, so that we can continue to enjoy it.

Lest We Forget
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squirrel 's post:
  • Sora

Messages In This Thread
Who is wearing a poppy?? - Squirrel - 10-30-2019, 02:36 PM