Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEWS] Singtel to shut down ageing ADSL network in April 2018
(04-15-2018, 01:07 AM)Squirrel Wrote:
(04-14-2018, 09:59 PM)Owl Wrote: SINGAPORE - About 47,000 customers still on Singtel's ageing asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) broadband network have until March next year to migrate to faster broadband technologies.

In a statement on Monday (Sept 11), Singtel said it will be shutting down its copper-based ADSL network, introduced more than 15 years ago, in April next year. It will be sending out letters to affected customers and offer themfibre broadband packages.

"Fibre-based networks today are capable of offering far greater speeds and supporting a much wider range of services than the prevailing copper-based networks," said Mr Wong Soon Nam, Singtel Consumer Singapore's vice-president for consumer products.

~remainder of story snipped~

There are a lot of places that still use ADSL; both in Canada, the USA, and around the world.

I imagine that what this story signifies, is that the population density in Singapore is quite high.

I know that, for example, Japan has been able to do away with copper altogether, and use just fibre.

And while I suppose some people will want to get fibre just because they can, for most people, they have no need for such high speeds.

I believe it paying for nothing more than what is absolutely necessary.

Interesting!
Lifetime supporter & Lifetime member for:  

Special Thanks to, @Sora & @retslac

[Image: agmalogo_a.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: [NEWS] Singtel to shut down ageing ADSL network in April 2018 - Owl - 04-19-2018, 06:22 PM