Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEWS] Singtel to shut down ageing ADSL network in April 2018
(04-14-2018, 09:59 PM)Owl Wrote: SINGAPORE - About 47,000 customers still on Singtel's ageing asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) broadband network have until March next year to migrate to faster broadband technologies.

In a statement on Monday (Sept 11), Singtel said it will be shutting down its copper-based ADSL network, introduced more than 15 years ago, in April next year. It will be sending out letters to affected customers and offer themfibre broadband packages.

"Fibre-based networks today are capable of offering far greater speeds and supporting a much wider range of services than the prevailing copper-based networks," said Mr Wong Soon Nam, Singtel Consumer Singapore's vice-president for consumer products.

~remainder of story snipped~

There are a lot of places that still use ADSL; both in Canada, the USA, and around the world.

I imagine that what this story signifies, is that the population density in Singapore is quite high.

I know that, for example, Japan has been able to do away with copper altogether, and use just fibre.

And while I suppose some people will want to get fibre just because they can, for most people, they have no need for such high speeds.

I believe it paying for nothing more than what is absolutely necessary.
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!

Messages In This Thread
RE: [NEWS] Singtel to shut down ageing ADSL network in April 2018 - Squirrel - 04-15-2018, 01:07 AM