Register
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Owl's FREE Bot Lobby! || 24 Hour Lobby || Enjoy!
(03-31-2018, 07:48 AM)Kasey Wrote: I do worry too much! ;-; I jump into every conversation and drag in others to make it more... Comfortable.

However, the comments that others make aren't always on how they play. They comment on other aspects, and type rude things. :/
Nonetheless, I do know what you mean and I truly do understand where you're coming from.

It is a game, yes. And, I wish others understood that instead of insulting people for winning fairly.

Heh... something else about the democratic world... possibly even all of humanity... we like to compete!

I have heard many say that there is absolutely ZERO point to playing a game, if there's no competition, and they are serious about it.

And once people have committed within themselves to do well in the game, this brings to rise some of our own ugliness, when we find we're unable to beat someone we want to.

And that's the moment that they do the most harm to themselves... when they insult others. (Including me. But I do it anyways, because I want a #1/#2 team to know that what they are doing is no big deal, and can be dulplicated by even poor players.)

Besides, you used the word "fairly" in your reply, and I would have to say again that, since it seems clear that Teaming was allowed for and sanctioned by the developers, this would mean the #1/#2 team did get there fairly.

I just want them to feel bad about staying there, and making the game less enjoyable for everyone else around them.

Also, I have had some experience with another aspect of people, one that... I do not find so attractive.

I would take you back to a different time, maybe 1991 to 1994... just before the dawn of the public Internet, when BBSes flourished, and for the first time we were seing multi-line BBSes -- some, as many as 20 or so people could get onto it at once, and they were able to chat, play games, and so on. It was a taste of what has today, fully come.

And back then I was taking care of a game, making changes to it.

I was a softer sort. I wanted everyone to have fun in the game.

But you DID chase players, you WERE trying to kill them, and thus it was also a competition.

And so, by analysis, it seemed there were two clear groups of people:
-those who played for fun; and
-those who played for competition and killing each other.

And since I supported mainly the former group, the latter was unhappy with my work. So I met with some of the best player hunters, wanting to give them what they wanted, and yet still wanting to somewhat protect those who just wanted to play for fun (killing computer opponents instead, chatting, and making things).

So they laid out to me how a game that allowed them to chase people gave them an adrenalin rush, and was a measure of a kind of 'skill'.

They claimed that they wanted to know which amongst them were the best in hunting players.

So I incorporated a new and second scoring system that looked at player vs player kills. It tallied not only the total number of player kills, but assigned to each a 'value'. The higher up on the "PvP" list you were, the more PvP points someone got for killing you.

And conversely, if you killed someone who (a) was easy to kill, and (b) had no interest in PvP... at first you got little to no PvP points at all. If you continued killing these players when you were a good PvP killer, the game started penalizing you. There was a "public jail" one room away from the starting point -- the place that every player was "reborn" after a death... And the game would force you to sit in that room, unable to do much other than yell... and you could hear the yells of other players near you.

And then I got a little "lesson" on the darker side of humanity.

A very VERY select few of the good PvP players were honestly in it for a 'fair' and challenging player-vs-player hunt.

Most of those who were killing players just wanted the easy kill, and they got pleasure out of taking enjoyment away from other players.

After the game started penalizing them, and the penalties became ever more harsh, these players quit the game altogether, and went to another system where they could play and kill to their hearts content, and no-one ever stood up for weaker people.

We make a game for all people, but not all the people who play it, will be people that we would want to associate with.

And we each make those judgements based on our own morals and values, as we see fit.

It's rarely ever pretty. Smile
Fight the Good Fight
(Listen with lyrics here!)
Make it worth the price we pay!
All your life you've been waiting for your chance,
Pray you'll fit into the Plan.
But you're the master of your own destiny,
So give and take the best that you can!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Owl's FREE Bot Lobby! || 24 Hour Lobby || Enjoy! - Squirrel - 03-31-2018, 08:45 AM